Concerned for 73 yr old family member. Any advice?


Hello, I am just concerned for a family member. She is a 73 yr old lady, I have noticed this past yr, she stammers over some words and sounds. Repeats things every so often, even after a few mins. Last night she even could not get the word Cat out. She forgot how to say it and was putting the letter R in Cat and kept saying crat, over and over. She has been getting dizzy and off balance once in awhile too. Too add, probably about a month ago, she told me, she was alerted by her partners daughter that she called him 3am in the morning and she had no memory of this.Other wise, she seems to be ok with every other life activity. I don't want to say anthing as of yet, just don't want to stir the pot. Thank you in advance for the help.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing


Ummm...low bone density causing broken bones is treatable. I mention it only because this is way too often neglected and causes needless pain. Visit for info...that would be an important part of a medical workup to think about.
Helpful Answer (0)

Thank you,
No she hasn't had a stroke but she has had rough years of broken bones. She does go in for fusions, I assume they are called for severe pain in her back. But I will take all of your advice and gently bring this up in a conversation, tactfully without referring this to her.
Helpful Answer (1)

Have a light conversation with her about when she last saw her dr for a physical and then offer to go with her on an appt. I wouldn't alarm her with your suspicions or observations as she might already be afraid or aware. Just encourage her to get a full medical work up. If she tells you who the dr is or you are close to one of her children, you could always talk to them about your concern and ask if they've noticed anything.

I would encourage a physical and mental work up as this could have been a minor stroke or progressing health issue that should be examined especially since you say you've noticed changes over the last year.
Helpful Answer (2)

Don't alarm anyone if you can help it, and don't speculate about causes. This little ol' lady needs a complete medical evaluation. I'd start with a geriatrician, who may recommend specialists. If this is something that can be easily corrected, the sooner it is corrected the better! If it turns out to be of a more long-term nature the sooner the family knows about it the better they can prepare themselves to deal with it.
Helpful Answer (3)

Sounds like this lady needs a check-up with a geriatric physician to see what might be the problem. The dizzy/off balance could be something as simple as an allergy, inner-ear infection, or a side effect from some new medicine, or something more serious that needs urgent attention.

I've read on this website here that UTI [urinary tract infection] in an older person can cause some strange symptoms.
Helpful Answer (4)

Has she (a) had a stroke (b) had a thorough checkup recently, including by a cardiologist and neurologist?

If not, I think I would tell her partner or his/her daughter, or perhaps you could, take her for some thorough medical checkups fairly soon... like right away.

You wouldn't necessarily be "stirring the pot" - think of it as being proactive in addressing potential health problems.
Helpful Answer (4)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.