Father (64) had Aortic Anyeurism and open heart surgery and suffered strokes. I am concerned about his substantial nestegg.

I am concerned what would be the best course of action so that he maximizes his benefits from GM, etc and minimizes the loss to his 401K, personal investments, IRA, Home, etc etc....
I started a claim for disability benefits from GM but not sure where to turn to know if I am doing the right thing.

Thanks in advance!

17

Answers

Tlass, that is SUCH great news! Thanks for updating us!

Hugs to him and to you.

Dad is better, coherent mostly each day, things are looking up, especially on the Neuro recovery side.....rehab for left side deficit will inevitably take a long time and degree of recovery there is still unknown. He has moved from the ICU to a room and eating....etc
It feels great to finally say...He is "out of the woods" so to speak!
I can now work with him directly for decisions regarding the next steps! phew what a huge relief and Blessing!

T, how is dad doing? And how are You!.

Thank you thank you!

If he is still competent, you get a POA form for your state which has to be properly filled out and notarized. If he is no longer competent, you need to pursue Guardian status with an attorney.

Thank you all!
So....POA? How to obtain?

Tlass, I also would want my parent close to me during rehab, but do consider that he's just had some traumatic illnesses, might be a bit confused after release, and due to his medical state at that time might require medical transport. That would be quite expensive, but the other concern would be that the trip and relocation might heighten his confusion.

I would consult with his doctors to determine what rehab might be appropriate; get an approximate length of rehab time as well. It's not always predictable but they can give you rough estimates.

It would also help to become very familiar with his health coverage through GM.

Have you thought about long term care plans in your state or his, after recovery? Have the doctors indicated whether he'll be able to return to work? If not, that's a major consideration not only in where he might rehab but where he might be staying after that, i.e., whether he'd be returning to his own home.

Is your mother alive? Are there any relatives near his home to assist with care?

Another thing I would do is my own investigation of rehab facilities. After the first time relying on hospital discharge planner recommendations, I never did again Make a checklist of issues of concern, including staff:patient ratio, research facilities locally as well as in your area on the Medicare website, and avoid those with bad reputations.

Wow, what a wealth of knowledge here! I am eternally grateful!
no there is no one else who could be proxy or POA, just us 3 sons and he asked the ER that I be the POA or Proxy when he was coming in...
Thank you! I now have the confidence that starting a disability benefits claim with GM was the right move and I will go from there.
This hospital is a distance from his/our home so research there might just be next for rehab and pt/ot assisted living care facility best near home.
What about bringing him out of state for this portion of recovery?
He is in OH but I live in MO, and I am likely the best candidate to visit frequently, give moral/spiritual support....work with him, etc....and that would seem alot easier if he was inpatient near me instead of his own home.

Thank you all!!!!

I think you're wise to address this issue now, but I also agree with GeeWhiz; GM is a benefits rich company so it's wise to explore all the options.

CarlaB is a former pension rights attorney and regular poster here. Perhaps she'll see this post and offer an opinion.

I think the first thing to do, whether you're proxy under a DPOA or POA, is to take inventory of his assets. You'll need that for any meeting with either a financial planner or an attorney. But do be aware that an attorney may view the assets and protecting them from a different viewpoint than financial planner.

Tlass, first thing is to get your Dad the best care possible. GM is a 'benefits rich' company and will likely have a terrific package for your Dad. It is also likely that they have a benefits person that will help guide you through all processes. There is probalby short term disability for the first 6 months or so. Then long term disability if Dad is still unable to return to work. Dad may (or may not) have opted for long term disability when he did his benefits selection. It wouldn't hurt to ask this question when you call the benefits team. The disability income will help pay the day to day bills, though it may not meet his previous income.
His health care plan will pay for medical bills. With a hospital stay, he will quickly be at any 'out of pocket' maximums . After that, his health care plan may pay the full bill! Call his health care plan provider (number on the back of his health care card) and make sure you understand what is covered with respect to rehab services. As Babalou stated, get the BEST care possible. Your Dad is young and has the potential for many happy years, but he has one good shot at a significant recovery. While he is in the hospital, ask around for the BEST rehab ;place. (The staff in hospitals too often make arrangements for the easiest rehab! Do your homework) .
No action is needed for 401k, IRA, investments, etc. They are the least of your problems right now. And, GM may have an Employee advisory service available - many large firms do! They will help identify rehabs, etc as well as in home services he may need in the future.
Have faith, most of us look awful post surgery, it takes a while to shake it off!