mj5167 Asked March 2016

Is it common for caregivers to seek counseling if they think they may have depression?

Exhaustion, isolation, overwhelmed, crying spells lasting for long time now that wont go away no matter what I do.

27

Answers

1 3
Eventually I realized that I really needed medication for the depression, which had gotten worse this fall. Rather than taking a chance with my primary doctor, I eventually went to see a psychiatrist, since I figured that a specialist might have a better idea what medication might work as far as treating someone with ADD. I'm taking Prestiq now and hoping it works out. So far, so good. Had to pay out of pocket for the appointment, since he not only didn't take Medicare, but not any kind of insurance...will send in my own claim. Wow, talk about costing an arm and a leg! If I were him, I would work only one day a week and it'd be plenty of money for me.

yakmom Aug 2016
Please seek help. Your feelings are common to almost all caregivers, yet unique to your situation. Find someone soon who can help you. Please. If you work, there are often employee assistance departments that will refer you to a counselor for free. If not, then perhaps clergy. Some churches also have counseling centers that offer therapy on a sliding scale according to income. Please, there is help. You are brave and aware of your needs. Blessings to you, dear.

Old, that is SUCH great news! Thanks for sharing what youve learned.

Now I finally have an appointment with a psychologist that takes Medicare! I figure if I really feel like I need a medication ordered later on, I can always go to a non-enrolled psychiatrist like the Medicare person suggested and then file the claim myself! But the psychologist is a good choice right now!

That's the website I've been having trouble with before. It's very slow and times out here, plus has some outdated lists of Medicare doctors. I actually called Medicare's 1-800 number the other day and eventually got through to a LIVE HUMAN BEING! Between the other info I've found and what they gave me, I believe I might actually be finally getting somewhere. They even said that if there's no psychiatrist in your area at all that takes Medicare, you can send claims in yourself after seeing a "non-enrolled" psychiatrist. I might have to pay money upfront if I go that way, then (hopefully) the claim goes through later and pays me. Plus I have lists of phone numbers for other kinds of providers I'm working on and will call the local Mental Health Association, which I found a number for. Too bad my cell phone doesn't work anymore! I've found in the past that phone tag works better if you have two different phones to work with.

Oldandtired, Medicare.gov website was my source for that information.

I assume you have some kind of private insurance to pay the psychiatrist? Although, I've heard that some of them have actually gone to totally boutique practices, not even accepting private insurance, guess they probably take credit cards or cash in that case.

kthln3 Aug 2016
mj5176, please, GET HELP. There is absolutely nothing, nothing wrong in the emotions and hopelessness that you feel. This is the scariest job I've ever had in my life and I have experienced everything you mentioned. Four years ago I had a mental breakdown and ended up spending 3 days in a mental health hospital which helped me ENORMOUSLY. I literally wanted to die and caregiving for the elderly is far from easy. I have been seeing a psychiatrist every 4 months to check in about the antidepressants I'm on, and a wonderful, empathetic therapist every other week for an hour. I have no doubt that I would have either had another breakdown or have committed suicide. DEPRESSION IS NO JOKE. IT DOESN'T GO AWAY, IT JUST GETS WORSE. Please, please, please get help! If you don't know where to start go to a terrific website, stresscare

Midkid58 Aug 2016
Most psychiatrist do not also do 'Talk therapy'. Mine only does on the rare occasion he sees me (every 6 months for a med check) and he senses that all is not well. He does not charge more for these random checks. I see a LCSW for my talk therapy. She is great. I've seen 4-5 different counselors over the years and so far, this one is the most attuned to me. She doesn't just sit there and say "so, how does that make you feel?" she actually is invested in what I am saying and can put words to my crazy jumbled up thoughts. A lot of what I am going through is that my husband is aging a lot faster than I am and he is a pain in the butt to live with,. Approaching retirement and I don't think I want to be with him anymore--40 years of marriage and I'm ready to bail. She is helping me to say sane and not make rash decisions. I am terrible at standing outside myself and being critical w/o hating myself for being myself. She is great. She also doesn't charge $250 and hour.
Also there are simply support groups--my therapist runs one, I haven't taken advantage of it, but might. It's $35, just the copay for a visit and not run through insurance.
If you don't talk about how you feel, you will implode--and that's dangerous and awful. I do take anti anxiety meds and antidepressants. Been off the antidepressants for years and had some ill health and 3 major surgeries and had to go back on---I hope to be off them again someday--but mostly, like everyone else--I want to be able to live and enjoy life!!

freqflyer Aug 2016
Having problems finding a psychiatrist who would take Medicare was a good thing for me... instead I found a talk therapist who did take Medicare and she is excellent. She is close to my age and been there done that with taking care of an elderly parent. Perfect :)

It is so good to have someone to talk to. I've been there only 3 times but am looking forward to the next session. It is so important to find someone you feel real comfortable with, to find someone you know is listening and can relate.

Now a talk therapist cannot prescribed medicine, but can give you names of meds to try but you need to contact your primary doctor.

I am now on meds, but it's been a lot of trial and error trying to find one that didn't give me the opposite results. I am pill sensitive, so that makes it complicated :P My doctor give me the smallest dose made, and has me cut that dose in half.

1 3