Has anyone ever come home and found elderly relative dumped at their front door?

This question occured to me while reading other posts. I see so many scenarios where an elder is taken care of by daughter, son. (doesnt' really matter for this). Some other conniving scheming relative maneuvers to remove said elder, takes over finances, confiscates policies, etc, and get them signed over, namely they get ALL the elders money, assets, etc.
Then, when they have either blown it all, or stolen it all, dump the elder back on the doorstep of the original caregiver with no warning, and when the original caregiver is out? (or even home for that matter).
Legalities??

22

Answers

1 2 3
It has probably happened to someone, somewhere. I think it's more typical for the caregiver to carry on caregiving, doing all the real work, while the conniver takes over finances etc on the down low. When the money has run out, the conniver leaves it to the caregiver to figure out how to support the relative.

I don't expect problems from Sis, but I am very well aware that stranger things have happened in the best of families. There's not all that much, but I already told hubby that it there is the least bit of stink, I am walking away from all of it.... A few bucks doesn't matter to me. We were actually thinking that bro would be the one to cause a stink, but so far, anyway, he is laying rather low.

Besides if sis or bro do throw a hissy fits about anything - I've got a few things I've save in my "hidden arsenal" so to speak, that I can bring up. Letters mom wrote, but never mailed... Mom said she wanted to change her will after being "dumped" on us but we never "got around" to taking her to an atty for this... etc So as long as they behave themselves, we'll get along.

Thanks for the advice & alert!

So glad you've gotten everything taken care of, and so sorry you're having to deal with all this. and Twocents is right, be prepared, your Sis will probably throw a hissy fit on you. Just calmly walk away. You did the right thing and don't deserve to have to put up with your sister's problem with it. God Bless You!

Very good. However, be prepared for a lot of hell from Sis.
Taking bets that some sort of stink will be raised: sis will think she deserves more than she should. (based on reading other posts around here and personal experience).

unikornfairy: No, I'm not scheduling it around sis' cruise. I figured she "dumped" mom on us, - so now I'm doing the arrangements the way I want. I've got our church schedule & pastor's schedule to deal with & that's plenty enough. It got settled today: Oct 19th. Thanks for your thoughts.

Oreo1592 - Do not schedule your Mother's funeral around your sister's cruise. Your Mother deserves the respect of being buried in a timely fashion and your sister's cruise can be cancelled due to a death in the family. She can get a refund as soon as she gets a copy of the Death Certificate sent to them. Unless she went the cheapo route and didn't get the travel insurance or it's in the fine print. Either way, your Mother is your first concern here, not your sister's cruise. So sorry this happened to you and God Bless you and your family for your loss.

In a way, yes, this happened to us. Mom was in ALF on the east coast. After illness, she got to feeling well enough to travel. Sister sent her out to us on the other coast with a one way ticket. The understanding was that she could stay a month or two - or even thru the winter... A week later sis said that she gave up the room at the ALF & basically said that it was our turn.
We had actually wanted her here to start with - but needed to make preparations, - wanted to add a room on, for her, etc.... yeah - I use the words "dumped on us". It was rough go for a while, especially since Mom thought I was in on the conspiracy of getting her out here. She lasted almost 13 months & passed this past Monday with cardiac arrest while at the eye Dr's.
Now I am making service arrangements around sis's upcoming scheduled cancun cruise! Unbelievable!

We're going ok, & glad we stuck through it all, altho we did have quite a few rough spots along the way. It actually got easier as the months went by. It was mostly my dealing with my own "issues" from way back... So have no regrets.

Sounds like someone is in big trouble! If this happened, you need to call Adult Protective Services. It is totally illegal to to take financial advantage. However, you are not alone. Usually family does not report another family member, but do you really want your family member to continue their path of exploitation? They need help to stop and realize why it is wrong. (maybe).
1st of all is find help for your mom. Elder Services is available in all states. They can be a resource. Honor your mom by protecting her.

I have found that people do not want the most useful answer for many of these situations: Nursing home, public aid. That's it. Sorry. I have never promised my parents I wouldn't put them in a nursing home because it's probable they will end up there. My mom died in one undergoing 'rehab' (uh-huh) It's just a sad fact that we can't take care of them at a certain point.

Accidentally cut myself off. Don't know if my post went on her or not.
Wanted to say I did have a MIL sent to my home by a daughter. She was only about 47 and her son told her she had to figure out how to make it on her own. She did. Spent her last years in a NH but if I'd stayed in the marriage I probably would have been caring for her. Whew! (didn't like her). I hope your scenario never comes to your door, but as noted before, prepare in advance for these possibilitys. (or encourage someone you trust to do it).

1 2 3