Combativeness and delusions, how do you cope?

I am dealing with combative and dysfunctional Alzheimer’s’s diseased relatives. They throw objects at me, curse at me, show up in strange places and accuse relatives of untrue things. Recently, they accused me of not having any medical problems or leg injury. How do you cope with these combative people? And they like to argue about my medical state.

4

Answers

vsb2007, those relatives need someone to take them to see their primary doctor to check for an Urinary Tract Infection. Such infections can cause combativeness and delusions. If it is an UTI, it can be controlled with antibiotics.

If you feel that you're in danger, you should leave.

Do you live with these people? Are you caregiving for them? If they have ALZ, how are they getting around to show up in strange places? Are you disabled? Do you get involved in these arguments about your health? If you do, why? Why not leave? Even if you are their caregiver, you need help. They are abusing you and it sounds like you’re letting them. Call Adult Protective Services and open a file on them.

When you are being attacked you should call 911 to take the person to the ER which should have elderly psych services. The right medications should help but it may be hit or miss.