Can we talk about the issue of clothing with a person suffering with AD or D?

My aunt would wear the same clothing for a week if allowed to. She also hangs up soiled clothes. I go into her closet when she's not in her room and sniff her pants to make sure they're clean! My husband says, "I can't believe you do that!" Well, how else am I to know she has clean clothes in there! I spy on her all of the time, starting at 7 a.m. each morning to make sure she's okay and not up to no good...oh, and still breathing!!

23

Answers

1 2 3
Mom 94,advanced dementia see's no reason to change her clothes and obviously has lost her sense of smell.Taking her clothes away (eliminating dressers/closet ) would really upset her as she often spends time rearranging them sooooooo...I sneak in every night, take out the used and leave the clean.She hasn't noticed yet and for that I am thankful!

Come on now....you don't mean that.

I sincerely hope she is. That would solve a lot of problems.

You had better watch her....seriously, she may be eating them next.

That's unfortunately typical of dementia patients. MIL has never been much for personal hygiene, but she's really let it slide in the past couple of years. The daughter of the guy she lives with called and told us that MIL was wearing the same clothes every day, and that maybe for Christmas we should give her a gift certificate from a clothing store in her town that she likes so she could buy some new things.

We got her the gift certificate, and MIL was thrilled. Except she didn't buy clothes, she bought an umbrella (she has at least a dozen umbrellas) a purse (she has dozens of purses, all of which she loses constantly and then a frantic search ensues) and a shawl that she refers to as either a coat or a pillow. (??? hello, aphasia!)

She says she doesn't like to run the washing machine because it "uses water" and that construction nearby has depleted the water table to an alarming extent, causing a water shortage. There was some road construction going on where she lives awhile back, but there's no water shortage. I checked.

It hasn't gotten to the point where she smells yet, but it will soon. Interestingly, she's always loved mothballs, and she scatters them around with great abandon, to the point that I can't spend five minutes in her pied-a-terre in the city, where she hardly ever goes, without feeling nauseous. She must have almost no sense of smell, because those things stink to high heaven.

Glad this is not just me! I have to get sneaky about making sure she puts on clean clothes or she will wear the same outfit indefinitely. At the end of the day, she hangs her old clothes up and hangs it on the door of her closet, then puts it back on the next day if nobody intervenes. I usually sneak in when she first gets up in the morning and remove her dirty clothes so she is forced to pick something else - it's worked out well so far.
As a silver lining, when her laundry is done, I sneak it back in her room and put the basket of clean clothes on her bed for her to deal with, and folding and hanging things gives her something to do for an hour! :)

It's the same thing with a lot of stuff, honestly... I need to get sneaky and hide lots of things or else she will just keep reusing it (or eating it, or drinking it...). Most recently, I had to hide her hairspray because she only has her hair washed once a week and she was applying hairspray 10-12 times a day. Her hair is getting visibly crusty after only a couple of days and she was going through a full can every 2 weeks or so. BLEH!

Yep, I get the, "There's no way I did that." look all of the time. And, we DO get used to this. In the beginning, I stressed at each turn, walking away shouting, "That f**ing disease!!" (Better to blame the disease, not the person, I know it's hard) Now, I just deal with the stuff as it comes and shrug it off, for the most part. I'm still dealing with my feelings. You'd think after 2 and a half years, I'd be cool as a cucumber, but it doesn't happen like that for me. I wish it did.

I understand about the dirty clothes. If I am not watching my husband after he takes a bath (which is not often) he will hang the dirty depends back in the closet. I don't stress over it. I just put them in a plastic bag and throw it in the garbage. As far as wearing the same clothes everyday. I hang out clean clothes where he can see them so after his bath he just puts them on. As for the teeth. I had to laugh because he put them in the garbage twice. The first time he said they were in the car so I did not argue I just let him look for them in the car. Then I realized he had thrown them in the garbage and I had to go dumpster diving (thank God the garbage truck had not picked up that day). I found the teeth after dumping all our garbage in the street and picking through it. When I handed them to him he just looked at me and said he did not do that. I guess I took them out of his mouth and thru them in the garbage.

Yep, no more clothes in her room. And, the doctor report is good - she just has a Vitamin D deficiency. So, she's on that plus a diuretic. No UTI, I was glad about that. Skinny Minny's in pretty good shape. Now, I have to deal with both of my parents (both 82) going down hill daily. Just got a report from my sister out in CA and the parents in AZ are "scaring" her. Says my Dad now uses the F word regularly. Holy smokes.

You guys!!!!!!!!!! whats with the butt sniffing? i dont need to bum sniff its in the "air" Ah the joys of a colostomy bag!!
Youre right DD i have to take more control and bag stuff of course ive said to brother as i need him to put stuff in attic but he dosnt want to lift a finger here as long as he runs the mower over the garden and thats it hes DONE!

1 2 3