Mother with COPD coming to visit. How can I clean the house so she won't have problems?

My mother is coming and I smoke my significant other vapes. Mom has copd how can I clean this house so she won't have problems. Thank you in advance!!!

23

Answers

1 2 3
I strongly agree with someone else who mentioned just having the patient stay elsewhere in a smoke free environment. Another thing you can do is open a window across the room and have a fan blowing out the window and another one blowing from other end of the room, creating an airflow. I have asthma and can't be around smoke and someone I know does this for me but it's not 100% perfect but it does work very well for the most part. The best thing though for anyone with respiratory issues is not to be around any smoke because you never know when that smoke may trigger a reaction. Sometimes if a little bit of smoke comes your way you end up having to fan it away with a hat or whatever you confined to fan it away from you. I've actually found myself coughing up mucus after going out into the fresh air and sometimes I find myself coughing up quite a bit. I think what I'm going to have to do is carry a small battery powered fan when I see my friend. I can't tell them not to smoke but they have helped me by making certain accommodations when I would otherwise not even be there. Apparently he cares enough about me to make necessary accommodations so I can be with him.

Opening windows will do very little to eliminate the smoke smell. This past winter my Dad's caregiver would go out onto the glass enclosed sun porch to smoke at Dad' house. This was for 3 months until my Dad moved to senior living... now the caregiver uses a "smoker's porch" which is outside the building.

Anyway, I was selling the house "as is" but I wanted the tobacco smell out of the sun porch, so I opened up all the windows 24/7 for the next 6 months until the house went to closing. On rainy days I closed all the windows, but the next day the tobacco smell was just as heavy as if I didn't have any windows opened :(

relwood, I grew up the era where everyone thought cigarettes were safe to smoke. Even today, with science proving how harmful cigarettes are and health issues with second hand smoke, there are still folks who say cigarettes are safe to smoke.

If you and your SO can smoke or vape outside, having air filters might help inside the home with lingering smells/contaminants. I've heard really good things about Rabbit Air Purifiers. They make different filters for different issues, and are pricey. But if your mom is going to be staying with you a good part of the year, it might be worth looking into. When we had construction done at our house, I bought some that were either Holmes or Honeywell from Target that were HEPA (but NOT ozone -- those are gross smelling) and it made a big difference in air quality. Maybe putting one in her bedroom and one in the common area might help?

Laundering drapes, wiping down walls with pinesol or vinegar and water, getting carpet cleaned and just keeping your windows open before her visit might help decrease odors.

Is your mom on oxygen? If so, you probably know this already but it is very dangerous to smoke inside the house when there is an oxygen tank there. Just take care. I hope you and your mom have a good time together!

fregflyer, the difference between you and me, is just like National Institute of Health I can throw out all kinds of names and none of will mean anything. You can look anything up on the internet and find someone that is will to throw unproven information out there so people like you can say "see I told you so" even when a 100 other research labs say the opposite.

Pklandry: It is going to be difficult to get that smoke out of your house. I don't see how it's feasible for your mom to come there. Even if you get a cleaning company to come in and do a cleaning, the smoke is still within the walls and furniture.

My Mother had COPD and I always kept a fan on her to help her breathe.I'd be sure to have a fan ready for her and get a heating pad too.Pick up anything she might trip over like throw rugs.Falls are the worst!!!You may need some nightlights.I hope you have a wonderful visit with your Mom.Take care,Lu

relwood, the National Institute of Health would disagree with you regarding vapors.

"Testing of some e-cigarette products found the vapor to contain known carcinogens and toxic chemicals (such as formaldehyde and acetaldehyde), as well as potentially toxic metal nanoparticles from the vaporizing mechanism."

I did also mean to add that I'm sure that seeing your mother is very important to both of you. I applaud you for being aware and wanting to do what you can to make her visit a success and to protect her health. While the answers make it sound next to impossible you can make things better. You've been given many suggestions that hopefully will at least reduce the toxins. Perhaps she can also take extra precautions by wearing a high quality mask. I know nothing about these masks but I'm sure you can research and find what is best. Also I wonder if it will help if you try to get out of doors with her? Depending on your environment or her overall health but perhaps there are parks where you can have picnics. Gardens you can visit. Restaurants that are non smoking. Things that enable her to breath cleaner air. Limit the time in your car ( if you smoke in your car) or in spaces in the home where you usually smoked. Perhaps you have a patio where you can visit. Perhaps an air filter for her room? Perhaps you can accept the challenge to stop smoking for the duration of your moms life so she and you can visit often. If that's too hard maybe a visit to the dr to find out what you can do to help. I know there are aids in the big box stores. Perhaps your SO has some ideas to help you stop. Let us know what works for you. I'm glad you asked the question as it might help others who are in the same boat. Many of us don't realize how our habits affect others today and into the future. I know it's not easy to quit and I'm sure you are well aware that it's the best thing you can do for your own health.
1. Stop contaminating now.
2. Clean with non toxic cleaners.
3. Limit exposure to contaminated areas.
4. Check out masks and filters.
5. Plan for cleaner air outings.
6. Get professional help.
I hope you have a great visit.

Sorry. Message posted before I finished. The aunt had been in hospice last two months of her life. When they went into the home the smoke smell was strong. So I can't help but wonder what that did to my friends aunt all those years of living in that house with the residual smoke.

1 2 3