Claiming my Mom on my taxes. Any advice?

My mom gets Medi-Cal & Medi-Care, she has no co-pay on doctor visits & very minimal on prescriptions. I pay just about all her bills but I'm worried if I claim her she might lose some benefits. I live in CA & could use some help getting this information, thanks

3

Answers

From a tax perspective, there are a few things to consider. 1. Are you paying her bills with your income or your own? 2. Are you paying her bills directly or putting the money in an account with her name on it? If so, the money is considered income to her? Also, my advice is to go to an actual EA or CPA most people who are tax people don't have proper training.

Thanks for the info. My tax person said it would be fine but I figured there had to be a catch. This is a great website though, I'm gonna give it to my mom so when she has questions she can't get answered she has another option. Thanks again

No you cannot claim her without totally disrupting her Medi-Cal benefits. When she applied for Medi-Cal did she show you were providing over half of her support? No? Trying to change it and claim you support her will make a real mess of it.