Will leaving estate to me by my mom was rendered invalid due to original will being a contract. Do I have a claim for taking care of mom?

Original will was between my mom & dad in the 1960's. I have taken care of her ever since my dad passed in the 1980's. She did not drive & would not have been able to live in their home in the country w/o me. 16 yrs ago she would entered a nursing home after a stroke if I was not there to take care of her. 5 yrs ago she needed 24/7 care. I was never paid for any thing I did. She had a new will made out naming me as only beneficiary and explaining why. My only sibling is contesting & according to ever attorney I spoke to, the new will is invalid because the other one was a contract.

Do I have a case? My mom could have received help from the state & I could have been paid as a care provider but my mom did not want to do that. She wanted me to be able to live in the home as long as I wanted to & the property to stay in the family.

Thank you

35

Answers

1 2 3 4
Glad, please check your PMs.

GA, what if echo were to bill the estate for care provided? Then after care is paid then remainder split in half?

They are making a promise to one another - yes, that is a contract but they are only promising to give each other their half of the estate when they pass.

@Garden artist - if you are knowledgeable in regards to the law I could easily post it. "This being a joint will, the same is binding on each of us and our successors, and the consideration for the making of said will is the promise and the execution of this will to the other." Again, that is the only sentence in the will that might make it contractual. Successors means as in trustee or executor. Please correct me if I'm in error. Again, there in no mention of my bro or me except if they passed at the same time. Thanks.

@Garden Artist. I need 2 attorneys if I'm going to fight this. Do you know any reason the anti-lapse statue would apply?

@rainmom - I never intended to offend you & I actually thought I was being sympathetic when I said what I did about your dad.

@Garden Artist Thanks. That's the odd thing about the will. What I copied & pasted in my first answer was from a website. It is not from my parents will. No where in the very short one page will does it dictate what the survivor should do with property and or estate after they pass. They promise to give everything to one another & the ONLY time my bro & I are mentioned is *if* they both pass at the same time & if they do pass at the same time, the estate is to be divided equally.

I've only had one attorney agree with me. He is not an estate attorney but there is one in his law office. All the other ones I spoke to gave me their opinion - the old will would take precedence, but would not explain why or how they came to that conclusion.

Thanks for the advice. I was looking for estate & trial attorney. Contract law makes sense.

correction

grandson

.. and the other son was told numerous over the years by his grandmother.

....and since I'm on a rant. Do you know what the 2nd thing my bro said after I told him she passed. Am I still in the will ? Mom didn't tell him but she told 2 of his sons. Then he told me he wasn't contributing a dime for a funeral. Later I asked him if his youngest son didn't tell him. She told him about 7 or 8 yrs ago. Surely it didn't come as a surprise. He said yes but he wanted to make sure. Then he asked for a copy & got an attorney. Now, neither of his sons recall the convo with their grandma & my bro has no recollection of that convo with me.

The end

The last 11 days of her life were spent in ICU or another room in the hospital several hours from home. They kept transferring her. I did not leave. I never went home till the last day. I tried to sleep in a hard chair or on the floor. One nite I got a cot. That was the night I got the virus that my mom had which she got from my bro & his wife. She was on medication which lowered her immune system. They *rarely* visited & they knew not to come when they were sick. I didn't have a change clothes or anything & they did not offer to help me. There were shower facilities. They visited all right but not long enough for me to go home. The night before she passed she begged for hours & hours for me to take her home. I was told I couldn't take her home but they said I could the next day on hospice. I had to go home to make arrangements. My bro & wife were at the hospital but they left shortly after I did & my mom passed alone shortly after. I held hand for 11 days & 10 nights & she was all alone when she died.

1 2 3 4