Any advice to find options on check-in-type care for a parent while I am away on a trip?

Mom lives with me and is pretty mobile but has Alzheimer's and cannot be trusted to eat or take medications. She is 87 and I would need some one to check in on her and make a meal or two for no more than a week at a time. I have some relatives and friends that can help so really need only a couple hours a day.

Need to find check in type care for parent while I am away for a week long trip. Money is an issue. Thanks.

23

Answers

1 2 3
I also worry about this same thing when I need to take a little trip for few days. I don't stay gone a week, but I will still be making arrangements for my mom when I go away at spring break. She fell in bathroom about 3 weeks ago, and injured her leg. She is doing so much better, but this time I will have home care health to come in each day I'm gone, they have RN's, and also the CNA's who come in to help with bathing or light housekeeping, but mostly hands on with patient. Home care health is a great option if your mom is able to stay alone, but with the age you mentioned it would be good to get a trusted family member or close family friend to go ahead, and stay with her a few days. You get peace of mind, and mom feels re-assured that someone is there with her, but definitely go and have some fun too!! We caregivers don't have barely anytime to ever get away for a trip so you have to truly make it all it can be, and have some time for you!

ramiller... every county in every state may have different criteria.... If you happen to live in Macomb county, for example, check into the MI-Choice program. Within that program there is something called Elderly or Senior Waiver program. Within that program, there are many options, including Our-of-Home Respite. They offer up to 30 days of Out-of-Home Respite per year to the caregiver.

There is no cost to those enrolled in the program. A support co-coordinator will go over everything with you to see what you may qualify for.

Call your local Area Agency on Aging to see what they offer.

Michigan was one of the first 15 states to offer paid compensation to family caregivers. The law has since been expanded to 49 states offering 4 different options to get paid.... and those states have at least one of the 4 options available.

These options include Medicaid Waiver, Non-Medicaid Programs, Veterans Directed and Community Based Services (the veteran is still eligible for Aid and Attendance pension benefits if they are getting it), and Programs for Life Insurance Policy Holders.

Each state has their own name for the paid caregiver programs, and they often make no sense, thus making them difficult to find. In Montana, it is called "Big Sky Bonanza" in Ohio, "PASSPORT"... which can be extremely confusing.

In Michigan, it also falls under the MI-Choice... so when you call, ask specifically about this program when calling you local Area Agency on Aging.

Hope this helps...

If your Dad was a Vet check to see if there are any benefits that would help.

If I was going out of town, I'd do respite care in a rehab facility (nursing home). He got very good care in the rehab facility.

We hired an agency person for a few hours each day for companion care of my father when I couldn't be there and he was coming back from a stroke (I was still in town). She also did as little as possible. That was about 3 years ago and the price was $24/hr then with a 2 hour minimum daily and a certain minimum per week. I was looking for a housewife or cheerful person who could engage him and got a 18 year old girl who was more interested in her phone and book. Even worse, they couldn't guarantee he would be getting the same person every time and couldn't tell me when there would be a substitute. He was very confused about the whole thing. But at least someone was there if there was an emergency.

In our area Alzheimer's and Dementia Alliance has a Caregiver Grant that can be used for respite. Contact them.

Oops! Apologize for the repost. I had trouble posting the first one, and couldn't see it, and wanted to make sure you knew free help was available to you.
Good Luck!

Hi Cass18,
Yes, there are services available to you for FREE to care for your mom while you are away. They take complete care of her, no matter how much or how little care she needs. Some states have a sliding scale, depending on what you/she can pay.
Contact your local Agency Area on Aging... and you will have to ASK for this program, as they don't readily volunteer it. In Michigan for example, you can obtain up to 2 weeks off at a time, twice a year (4 weeks total per year).

You are free to go on vacation... or anything you wish.
Go to the website www.n4a.org, and put in the informaton to contact your local agency. Ask for the Out-of-Home Respite ... (may be called different names in different states or counties),,,,

Hope this helps! Camille

Camilles, can you be a bit more specific as to who "they" are that provide free respite care. I am in michigan and would love to know who is offering this. I have never heard of free respite this intrigues me. Thank you in advance for you input

Thelmar, you should teally pozt that as a new question, and you'll get lots of answers.

1 2 3