What's the cheapest route when a parent dies without a will?

My mom died in January. She has no will and only one family member me her daughter. The house is paid ofg and is in her name and so is her car. Due to her death and my greif I lost my job. I have no money to spend on an attorney. She had no insurance and was heavy in debit . I have no idea if there an agency that can help. Any suggestions?

26

Answers

1 2 3
One more point. If you lost your job, and you are only receiving government benefits; you may be able to waive the court filing fees.

There is no cheap route about it - it's a matter of following the law. You'll have to file in the probate court, however don't be intimidated about this. There are specific rules to follow. You can DIY it, or fire a probate attorney. The more you document, the easier it is. Keep all your receipts as you can claim those against the estate.

UncleDave: It's hard to make out what someone is getting at when it's all one big, long string. (grin)

Llamalover47 could be she has forgotten all about periods {grin}

AudreyR: Can you write in sentences with periods, please?

UncleDave: Good tips for Bettt98! I only hope that she is able to follow through. A person who has just lost a LO 6 months ago may be still in that "grief fog," so to speak.

Bettyf98 your profile shows you are in Texas.

Do some Googling:
Inheritance Law ; What You Need to Know About Probate in Your State ; Texas

How Probate Works in Texas
Each state has its own rules about probate. Find out how they do it in Texas.

How to Get a Tax ID Number for a Trust or Estate in Texas
In order to settle an estate or a trust, you'll need to get a tax identification number for it. Find out how to do it.

Let us know your state, so we can give you contact information for a modest consult; try to get a job to help yourself with the change (as this will stabilize your world); make sure the homeowners insurance is paid to protect the house asset; pay the utilities; leave a message at a elder law firm to point you to a proper resource.

Hi Betty
If you find the right attorney, they will be able to help you. The affidavit of heir ship is just the easiest if you have two disinterested parties who can sign that they knew her, etc. I did a quick google and it does mention something about debts having to be paid in order to do that one. So you might not be able to use it anyway. In the case where I was involved with one there was no debt. You can probably negotiate the debt down if not away. You need to pull it together and find an attorney. You will be able to find one if you try that will allow you to make payments. You may have to pay more than if you had the money up front but look at the big picture and protect your property.
And Betty, I am not saying to do nothing. You do need to take action. Just don't fall for scams or threats. Get an attorney. Make at least six calls tomorrow and get started. Set yourself some goals. Walking like you are late is as good in some cases as an antidepressant. So go to a mall if it is hot where you are and walk. Or wait until it's late or set your clock for 6 and get out and walk. Take action to get yourself going. After you get started it will get easier. Unplug the tv. Don't buy starchy food. Drink plenty of water. In three days you will be better if you start now. While you are out walking you might remember someone that could sign the affidavit. Take extreme care of yourself.

Thank you all for your help. On her credit cards she was behind about 6 months prior to her death.

Heirship document is pretty much out of the question. My mom had only one friend all the time she was alive. She passed away about 6 months before my mom died. My mom was a very private person. When her friend died it sent her into a deep depression prior to her death. I cared for my mom for 10 years. In that 10 years I lost touch with my friends and church. If I left the house to do something social mom would become insanely jealous. To prevent problems I would just go to work and home. I tried to get my mom involved in senior activities but she would not hear of it. My mom had always cared about her appearance. The last five years it was a struggle to get her take a shower or change a nightgown. She would constantly refuse home health. I beleive then when her depression started. Mom was a very proud woman and when she lost the ability to walk and breath on her own. She felt worthless. I tried talking to the doctors but medicare doctor she had was awful the cardiologist and other specialists said it was not their concern.
When I moved back in with my mom 10 years ago the house look like something from hoarders. My mom would let anything go. It was the main reason she did not have friends over as well as myself. My mom answer was we will clean it tomorrow. We had a mouse problem from hell and both bathroom leak so bad the white walls were green with mold. When she became I'll in February I made major changes. I drew out all 401 k out 70,000. I put her dog in a kennel and cleaned house. Many of her prized possessions were disposed of due the mice had damage them. I had to have a special clean up crew due to mice mold and garbage. Then I completely reminded the home. New ac heating bathrooms tile (carpet was from 1979 and was gold and red shag) paint install ceiling fans and new furniture. I also paid the taxes on the house that she behind in.

She only lived 8 months after all the changes I made. I had hope she would feel better and have a safer place to live. Instead it made her feel like a failure for allowing the house to fall in such disrepair. Her final months was a revolving door between hospital home health care and nursing homes.
In December she slipped into a coma and I was at her bedside for nearly two weeks. I return to work for about week and then she passed away. I don't blame the company for letting me go. I had quit my previous job the year before to care for my mom. This job I had less than year and was off during their most busiest time christmas and new years for two weeks then a week later another week for when she died. I lost the ability to concentrate and due to my grief I lost my job.

I have been without insurance for nearly six months and do not qualify for unemployment. I finally found a job and is trying to get things done but it's been hard. I still do not qualify for their insurance until 90 days of employment. It is one of the first things I plan on doing I'd seeing a doctor. I have lost a great deal of weight no energy and depressed. But if your care giver with no money it hard. Thanks again. For all your help

1 2 3