Would changing to a perineal spray or wash help prevent UTIs?

My grandmother has recently moved into a nursing home, but I'm still (mostly) responsible. She's having constant UTIs which were never this extreme of a problem before, and I'm wondering if changing to a perineal spray or wash would help prevent? She wears briefs all the time, but depending on confusion level still also uses the bedpan/potty chair at times. Staff here uses her body wash on a washcloth to clean her after toileting, and I just don't know if that's ok? Help please!

17

Answers

Problem with antibiotics is you can get yeast infection while on them. Mom was in the hospital in Oct for a UTI. She has been on a cranberry tablet and a probiotic and so far no reoccurrence.

I just ordered and received a flushable, unscented, gentle wipes for Mom and we're loving them. When I first moved in with Mom she had a terrible time with UTI's - not drinking enough fluids didn't help. I got her on a routine of Cranberry gel tablets, a probiotic a day and D-Mannose (ordered on line) which has worked! No more UTI's! Read up on the D-Mannose - I'm glad I did and it really does work. Keep on top of the UTI's as it can really affect elderly.

I have read one should NEVER use body wash on "privates"....unscented wipes, front to back and cranberry pills should help. Also, if someone is taking antibiotics, it is also good to take PRObiotics, as antis can sometimes cause loose movements, which can exacerate the condition.

BatmannRobin: Why is the aide using a body wash (which is no doubt scented) inlieu of Cottonelle butt wipes?

Definitely! As a geriatric nurse I would not use body wash on the peri area outside of a shower/bath. How could they possibly rinse it well?? A peri-spray/wash and/or wet wipes (INTENDED FOR PERI-CARE, NOT hand wipes or the like) should be used. Especially on an elderly woman!  I have used wipes intended for adult care or even baby wet wipes, and they work fine.  I personally would use both, peri-wash/spray and wipes.  The peri-wash is great for tackling  bigger messes too, and will also help get BM or urine out of clothing as well. (Helpful tip!)

Baby wipes are great; one thing I always do is use pantiliners in the briefs. (I use 3 at at time to get the coverage.) This way there is always a clean dry sterile surface against the skin. They can be replaced easily, usually there is just one that needs it at a time, and much easier than changing briefs.

If all kinds of antibiotics have been used and the PT is now immune to them, a supra pubic cathether can be installed. It's not pleasant, by any means, but for Mother, it was a godsend. She still can urinate a little (wears depends) but must have a cath bag strapped to her leg. It would drive me nuts, but she says it's better than constant UTIs. I have to believe her, b/c this kind of thing is for "life" and does take time to keep clean and odor free. Mother is also diabetic--so you also get that urine that smells really bad.....embarrassing for all.

Thanks Roosbx I'm going to order those pills. My mom is cared for at home, but she has recurring UTI's. They have practically exhausted all antibiotics. She was sent to an infectious disease specialist, but he couldn't do anything for her. She drinks plenty of water, but she is diabetic.

The change to perineal wash would be great, but there still is the "wiping" to be done, and if you are not there every single time to do it--then it's all for naught.
The baby wipes are great. Buy unscented ones, largest that they come. Hopefully help her to wipe herself. This seems like CNA 101, good grief, we were trained to do this a 2 yo's..and having a lot of patients with UTI's would be bad news to the NH.

When my mom has been in various facilities, I noticed that not all the staff were cleaning her properly. As in, they would wipe from front to back (as you're supposed to), but then wipe again from front to back with the same area of the same cloth...totally wrong. She got a UTI almost immediately.