CBD oil is a miracle pain reliever, but I need help keeping Mom's spirits up. Any suggestions?

Mom is so sad. It breaks my heart to see her cry. She is so disgusted that she is in such bad shape.

She can barely walk anymore. She has surgery scheduled for July 25th to unblock the first corrotid artery. Then 6 weeks later, the second will be done. She will be awake for the both procedures, and is stressed about that. She needs this surgery as she has had 2 strokes and a few TIAs.

She shakes and trembles very badly. She's very wiped out and everything is an exertion. She has COPD and still smokes. Her hands are so arthritic she can not light the lighter. What a joke. I can't fight with her about this anymore!

Her spirits have plummeted. She really just can't take it anymore. She was always on the go. I'm constantly giving her pep talks and even point out she's on the potty pot.

She does want to get better though. And isn't open to hospice.

She is always constipated and has stomach pains from it, she hardly eats because her stomach hurts.

She also has short term memory loss.

She also feels she's a burden on us and an intrusion in our home. Poppycock! We love having her!

On a good note the CBD oil has helped her severe leg pain. She would have constant pain plus shooting stabbing feelings. She'd break down because of it, and could never just relax. This oil, just a few drops under the tongue, has been a life saver!

I just don't know what to do about her depression. She is on Xanax, as needed, and Lexipro.

Where do I go from here? Even the smallest suggestion might help. Thanx for reading. I didn't know it would be this hard.

28

Answers

1 2 3
Dori, My doctor gave me Lexipro about 10 years ago for depression and chronic pain. She gave me some samples to start. My partner at the time, a physician, told me to wait and take it on Friday afternoon. He had patients who said it made them really sleepy. I took one pill after work on Friday at 4:30. I was asleep at 5:00. I woke up on Saturday afternoon at 3:00 to go to the bathroom. Sat down on the sofa and fell over asleep. Tim got me back to bed and I woke up late Sunday afternoon hungry. Took a shower and went out to dinner. Came home fell asleep and didn’t wake up until the alarm went off on Monday morning at time to go to work. Never took another one of those. But I was pain free and so out of it I didn’t know if I was depressed.🙂
Reply to anonymous439773

Sorry I just reread that - my mom's oil is FOUR parts CBD oil to one part THC oil.
Reply to Dorianne

Also.....I don't mean to derail the thread, but I just wanted to mention that Rick Simpson oil is basically hash oil, or honey oil. There were a pair of 20-year old chronics living across the hall from me for awhile, who used to make it all the time, lol. Anyone can learn how to make it themselves - there are lots of different websites offering instructions. I also just noticed Rick Simpson has the instructions on his own website. Basically you just need to get ahold of a bag of weed.

I'm not commenting against the oil! I'm from BC, the cannabis capital of Canada. I do believe cannabis does treat symptoms, but I don't know anything about it's curative properties. As I said above, I use CBD oil personally to treat anxiety, as well as treating my mom's pain and distress with a CBD/THC combination oil.

I'm more commenting because I've found that a lot of people are making big bank right now, by wayyyyyy over-charging for cannabis products that don't cost all that much to make at home.

Where I live, a 30 ml bottle of CBD oil containing 350 mg of CBD isolate (isolate is either tiny crystals or powder made of pure CBD) costs around $70-80. Alternatively, I can buy 1000 mg (1g) of CBD isolate for $50 and make nearly 3 bottles of my own CBD oil. (The recipe is pretty much: measure out your isolate on a gram scale, measure and add oil to bottle, add isolate to oil, shake well before using.) There is some debate about whether "full spectrum" CBD is better than isolate (it probably is) - but full spectrum contains trace amounts of THC, which makes it illegal in many US states. Also, any CBD product claiming to be THC-free and/or made from hemp is absolutely made from isolate, so it's a question of how much you want to pay.

I just did a Google search for "buy CBD isolate online usa" and came up with a $30 price for the same size isolate I buy. (It comes in a tiny jar even smaller than a lip balm.)  If THC-free CBD oil is legal in your state, then it's also legal for you to order this.  One of the best things about buying the isolate itself, aside from the price, is you can also source it to be pesticide-free, non-GMO, etc. 
Reply to Dorianne

Pepsee - I'm so sorry for what you and your mom are going through.

For what it's worth, my doctor once gave me cipralex (same thing as lexapro) for anxiety. I took it for 6 months and it made my mental state far worse. It was terrible!!!  I tapered off it and now treat my anxiety exclusively with CBD oil.

I am currently giving my mom a CBD/THC combination oil for pain, anxiety, mood, and appetite. It helps a LOT. It's 1 part CBD oil to 1 part THC oil. That said, I live in Canada, where everything is in flux right now - recreational marijuana is scheduled to become legal this year. Buying THC oil is kind of a grey area under the law because of that, so it's pretty easy to get. If you CAN get it though, and you're not morally opposed to it, I do believe THC has a much stronger effect on pain and mood.

You could also consider increasing your mom's CBD dosage. I take 0.5-1.0 ml a day - 0.5 as a regular dose, 1.0 if my anxiety requires it. (Mine is a suspension of 350 mg CBD per 30 ml oil.)
Reply to Dorianne

Pepsee, I use a CBD balm on my knees at night, and it really helps! It cuts down on that feeling like they are imploding, when I'm trying to relax at night time. Marajuua is legal in Washington state, so we have many dispensaries that have all sorts of concoctions, oils, capsules, tincture, different strains, CBD only, and some with both THC & CBD.

I for one Hate THC, so I strictly use the CBD only. The funny thing is,  I have never even been into one of those shops, but my kids (33-38) keep bringing me different CBD Products to try, so one by one, I'm figuring out which ones work best for me. 

The CBD salve, is one my Daughter's Chiropractor sold to her, for neck strain, but her neck got better,  so she gave me 1 & 1/2 tubs to try, and it really works for me! Her Chiropractor also sold her CBD capsules,  that my Daughter felt really worked well, unfortunately she used up Every Last One of them,  Lol!

I hope that your Mom does well in her surgery!  Keep us posted! ❤❤❤
Reply to staceyb

Pepsee, has she seen a Neuro doc yet for Parkinson's meds? Is the " Not eating" perhaps actually a swallowing issue? That was the case for my FIL, after an in diagnosed stroke.

He kept saying " I can't eat". What he meant was "I can't swallow".

Thank you Ladies.
Beck, so glad GF came through his surgery well. Wow 89! What a trooper!

Holiday, she's on an antidepressant now. She takes a small dose of Lexipro. It was all she needed for months, but seems she might need an slight increase at this point. When I saw her PCP Friday, I meant to ask her about it. But I was side swiped when Dr said she believes Mom has Parkinson's. Then we spoke of hospice, and the Lexipro question flew right out of my head, totally forgot.

I've offered her everything to eat, but to no avail. She got up this morning and looks like she's super drunk! Literally EVERYDAY she gets worse. It's unbelievable.

I absolutely believe the surgery would help in other areas. But I don't think, at this rate, she'd make it to the two appointments she has set up for PAT tests. There not until July 10th and 12th. Her surgery is scheduled for the 25th. Who knows how she'll be next month.

The CBD oil doesn't have any THC in it. That's the part that makes ppl high, eat and euphoric. At this point I wish it did. 😆

Anywho- we'll see what each day brings. For now I'll just love her up, lay with her, tease, joke and laugh...... that's more for me then her. 😉💕
Reply to Pepsee

Pepsee, My grandfather had the carotid surgery when he was 89. We noticed some changes for the better after his surgery with cognition and behavior. I hope surgery does not have any adverse consequences for your mother.
Reply to anonymous439773

About the carotid surgery, I would think that it would improve your mom's general brain function --reasoning, depression, etc. I understand that it's mostly done to prevent stroke, which can be devastating to quality of life. The drain thing appears to be optional in some places, and seems only to last a day, have you talked to the surgeon about that? (((((Hugs)))))))

Possibly your mom’s having swallowing problems. I personally just went through the tests and it was reassuring to know my swallowing was normal. As I gain back the pounds I lost I’m eating my favorites. It might help if she eats her favorite foods. I’m not an expert on CBD oil but I’d think it would make your mom hungry. Also, if she’s constipated perhaps extra fiber and drinking as much water as she can might help. Many medications cause constipation too.

The Xanax seems to be the nerve pill du jour with the doctors. BUT for many people it’s very effective and is good for anxiety and panic attacks. If Xanax doesn’t help then Valium is good as it relaxes the muscles as well as the mind so helps chronic pain and encourages sleep. If your mom is depressed, the doctor can try an antidepressant. But beware with antidepressants because some don’t help everyone and Paxil is just a bad drug. It took me 2 months to cut the Paxil dose out, it had to be decreased so slowly. Prozac is one of the oldest antidepressants and is easy to stop taking if it’s not the right drug. But it’s probably better to get the surgeries done before you consider drugs. When your mom gets some oxygen to her brain her mood might improve.

Try a Xanax in the morning and then one at bedtime. My daughter has been on them for a month for panic attacks and anxiety and she’s feeling much better. I feel encouraged with her improvement!

Hope your mom improves!!!
Reply to HolidayEnd

1 2 3