Caregivers, do you have a favorite moving piece of music that has come into your life at a timely moment?

We lost our brother and my mind has been on him continually - prayers, memories, etc. I made breakfast for my mother (who is living with us now - she has dementia and needs 24/7 care). I had our public radio station playing and this song came on the radio, "Gabriel's Oboe (from The Mission)." A very heartfelt, strikingly beautiful, and full of feeling piece of music. Here's a recording on YouTube if you wish to listen to it.

There are two pieces on that link, but both are very touching and moving.

I hope you like it.
LastOne

24

Answers

1 2 3
Bob Dylan does Knocking on Heaven's Door. Amazing Grace was done at my mother's funeral 7 years ago. I like Knocking On Heaven's Door better. When my time comes maybe 17 years from now (both parents lived to age 79); I could have a celebration of Life instead of a funeral and have Knocking On Heaven's Door played instead of Amazing Grace. I am also requesting to be cremated instead of buried; it will be Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust for me.

Cak, funny you'd mention Amazing Grace, that was the other song played at Sis' funeral. Only 2 songs, both with the word Amazing in the title. Ha-I had a moment with that song too. Sis was a wild driver. When they got to the verse "through many dangers tolls and snares I've already come"...I thought, yeah, that's no kidding, and I was right there with you, in the passenger seat. :-)

"Knocking on Heaven's Door" I love that too. My parents had that on an album, but I don't remember who's album. Was it Kristofferson?

The ones I like the most are Amazing Grace and Knocking On Heaven's Door

"Amazing" by Aerosmith. Sis requested it be played at her graveside, it was quite fitting. She'd gone through a struggle with alcohol. The husband, then daughter she got in life were not very good to her at all, especially considering how well she treated them. She finally left the loveless marriage, lost her beautiful new home, her snotty "daddy's girl" daughter left to live with exhusband, (money and nice houses meant more to her than love). Sis was living in crappy rentals, barely keeping up rent, kind of went down for some years. She pulled herself out, quit drinking on her own, and as the song says, she'd have been just the type who would be praying for others in that same situation to make it out. I hadn't heard the song in years, but given all that, it made me cry and smile for her at the same time.

Landslide by Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac.

Go to piano brothers site. Lots of beautiful tunes there.

Or maybe it is Glad.

No, Jessebelle, that black bird flying in the sky is jude!

Babalou, if I remember correctly, one of our local stations had posted the complete Remastered Bach by Glenn Gould on its website. I think it was available for a free download, although when I heard it announced I was kind of surprised it would be available for free.

That's a great song, cwillie. I just listened to it and know what P!nk is saying. Wouldn't it be easier if we knew what was on the other side and where they are. Is the lightning bug that got in the room really them? Or that black bird flying in the sky?

1 2 3