Caregiver stress causing memory problems. Anyone else experience this?

Since becoming one of the main caregivers of my nursing-home residing mom who is 89, and my 93 yr old dad, whose home my husband & I moved into to care for him, my memory is SHOT. I feel wound up and cannot retain much of anything any longer; I really feel the excessive worry & stress is causing this. Anyone else experience this? It is frightening to me.

29

Answers

1 2 3
thank you for all the comments. I have forgotten a couple of appointments and driven past my destination. I worry 24/7 that I may forget important meds for my husband.

I have been taking my mom out once a week from her 24/7 care facility for the last four weeks. I have sometimes have her out as much as 8 hours. I feel a bit over whelmed when I have to do anything else. The rest of the family does not see my mom.

Hard to successfully navigate in the moment when your mind is so full of to do's. I find I have to stop to prioritize and make lists and mark items off as they get done. Otherwise, I am jumping from one project to another - ending up with a lot of jobs only half completed. That's how the tub overflows and dinner gets burned and I forget to pick up the prescription. My Mom is 95 and I'm 71, and it's not that misery loves company, but I'm so glad to hear that I'm not alone with all the crazyness and that some of you younger gals are experiencing this stress/memory problem.
I would be embarrassed to relate some of the kooky lapses I am experiencing. Maybe it's not my age afterall!

I have been experiencing that lately, it is good to know the comments that we are not alone. I guess maybe we have too much on our mind and cannot always keep it straight.

Yes. Everything seems out of sync, I'm sure it will be awhile for normalcy to kick in again. We have to hang in there.

What was the question? I got distracted. Time to bring out the Ginko Biloba and decrease alcohol consumption. Yoga and meditation helps, too, and getting off the internet and taking a REAL WALK outdoors! Breathe deeply and exhale!

Thanks, Jessi. my problem is that most meds (prescribed or OTC) - my body reacts to it. So, I take my cholest pills every other day, etc.... but I will try the VitD. I bought Omega 3 - and I reacted to it - as if I was having allergy symptoms. Tingling of tongue, lips, etc... I stopped. Of course, I just recently became allergic to shrimp. So, go figure!

Today at work I went to wash my hands in the restroom and stuck my hand under the paper towel holder and could not understand why the soap wasn't coming out.....so yes caregiving does affect your mind ;-) I have to write everything down now..it could be that I am 57 too. I thought after raising my kids and having an empty nest life would slow down but since my husband and I both are only children it has not !! His mom is 88 lives next door to us and my mom is 83 and was placed in a NH Jan. 5th.

Hi bookworm
Yes, I do know what you are saying. I actually do have a lot of stress related issues. I have OCD and anxiety on top of caring for my Mom (part time ). I get panic attacks and when I do I seriously cannot talk. I actually forget simple words. I am absolutely certain that stress effects memory and problem solving skills.

I am sorry you have pain. My friend was diagnosed with fibromyalgia but recently was re- diagnosed with "Misconnected Tissue". I think is what it is called. Something eles to check out if you still have pain issues.

If you have pain, Vitamin D deficiency will make it worse; along with energy problems. I was extremely low on Vitamin D and my doctor told me to take 2,000 IU of D3, and within a month or two I was feeling so much better. It's also good on you ligaments and heart valve keeping them supple.

1 2 3