Fighting eviction, are there any caregiver's rights?

I always lived with nana and cared for her until her death.

23

Answers

1 2 3
I'm sorry you're dealing with this, littleflower. Funny, isn't it, how they get all brisk and business-like about the money but never to the point of putting a dollar value on the care you contributed.

But you never expected any thanks, did you??? How are you doing, now?

I would add that I, too, have the strange and debilitating problem of "hostile" siblings -- ones who lived, vitually, as if they had no living father for the last 4 years of his life. A sane person would think that if anyone should be hostile, it should be me and that all I should be hearing from any of them is a shamefaced "thank you". No, they're as bold as if they had been doing something, anything to make my life bearable throughout these sad, dark eleven years.

You do have rights, albeit limited. If you cant afford to hire your own lawyer, try Legal Aid or inquire at your County D.A.'s office about getting some pro bono help.

joanna6969, I am so sorry for the traumatic nature of the death. Trying to revive your patient would indeed be stressful. I hope the medication, and time, helps.

You do need to vacate the house. Are you feeling like you need a little more time? How much more? Have you tried negotiating this with the daughter?

In reading the parts about the years, it is possible dotbabejules was raised in her nana's house. Since her mother was killed in 1986, it appears using that year for the beginning of her stay is what you are using to determine her time in the house, pamstegman. I see nothing that contradicts her claim of 43 years.

dotbabejules, I wish you well in getting your concerns addressed.

Joanna, sorry your patient passed on, but once a patient dies, your employment is over. You cannot continue to live in the home.

I have been a live in caregiver for 3 months the patient died 3 days ago and daughter is telling me to leave now, what are my rights in Arizona? Also I was giving her CPR when she died and now can't sleep and not doing well mentally I went to the Dr today and was put on medication

I will keep you all informed, with the exception of psteigman :)
Thank you all for your help. Yes quantum meruit. I meet with another attorney relative to that :)

Dot stated that the house was left to her Nana's children and that one of them is still alive. The child that is still alive has a right to decide how the house is maintained or sold if necessary.
Typically a grandchild, whether living in the home or not, does not have the right to inherit the home, like a child would. I was told this by an elder law attorney.
Looking up the term "quantum meruit", it appears that the attorney that advised Dot recommended that she/he pursue monies due to her/he based upon past services rendered. This is an interesting concept. I'm unsure as to whether or not that would keep you in the house.
Good luck and keep us informed.

The only reason to be evicted would seem to be because she did not own the house or was way behind in her mortgage and if that is so, how did that happen? What was her monies being used for? Did you care for her all those years or just live there? I know of several people who lived with their parent and had to vacate when the parent died and the parent owned the house.

1 2 3