What do I do about jury duty summons?

I care for my 88 year old mother who has lived with us for over a year now. She's unable to open jars, bottles, etc. due to RA. I just got summoned for jury duty. I have no siblings so there's only me. Is this a valid excuse? Do I have to shirk one duty for another duty?

57

Answers

1 2 3 4 5
Absolutely. I got out of jury duty because of my circumstance of caring for my mom. You need to explain your situation. The best

I though about that too. Thinking it would cause a real stir...imagine bringing him in with the wheel chair, and handing the court clerk the extra depends and advice the clerk to change him every hour before he starts to smell. Oh...and he will need nap times, maybe the court could break for them?

My mom has gotten three Jury Duty summons since she moved to Assisted Living then Skilled Nursing...she's 89 and never got them before. I think I should take her, in her wheelchair, she can't hear well, likes to talk about the potty, and tell them I'm her POA Should get a giggle out of the perspective Jurors.

Last year my Mom, who was 97 at the time, got a jury notice. Say what??? I filled out the form for her since she was legally blind and very hard of hearing. Never heard back :)

I would have loved to have have served on a jury back in my youth, but now in my 70's, forgetabout it. My brain is fried after dealing with elderly parents for 7 years :P Heck I fall asleep in front of my computer at times.

In many states, simply being older than 75 is excuse enough.

When my Dad got such a summons, I wrote back..explained that he is unable to remain awake for periods longer than about 30 minutes. Is incontinent and will need extra depends and time to bathroom breaks every hour,

I got a simple notice that being 93 was reason enough.

According to their website, yes you do have to serve. There is a list of exemptions.

Am I supposed to serve on Jury duty in San Mateo County if I am over 70 plus yrs. of age?? Do I need a reason??
Thanks,
VRS

Generally, the only way anyone is permanently excused from jury duty is if the prospective juror is him- or herself permanently disabled, and has a doctors letter to that effect, or is disabled and over a certain age when they are then allowed to self-declare their disability.

Usually, if the perspective juror is claiming caretaking, even of a younger disabled child that may go on for years and years, the jury selection process does not assume that the need to be the caregiver is a permanent one, for example if the patient passes away or is subsequently located in a facility where 24 hour care is provided. So, the request for an excusal as a caregiver is mostly always consider temporary and you go back in the pool for selection again the next time. Sometimes they won't even accept an older letter from a doctor again because the patient may have died or may have different living arrangements. They pretty much want your request for an excusal to be in the present.

$4.00 a day? And here I was complaining about $30/day.

WindRose, glad the doctor is very accomodating. When you go to court, ask them if this is a one-time deal and your name is expunged? Or your name goes back in and then when pulled in the future, you have to again bring the doctor's letter?

I, my nephew and niece have never ever registered to vote. Yet, we have all been called for jury duty - And Served as Juror. We're not registered voters but we all have driver's license. ...I have never ever in my 47 years registered to vote....

1 2 3 4 5