What horrid stories about siblings who commit theft against their elderly parents! They should all be arrested.

My story is a bit different, my mom's caregiver lost her other client through death and they were living in the other client's house. Other client's son has given them a 30 day eviction notice so my mom's caregiver has moved my mom to another county an hour away without my permission. She claims my mother is the only income she has right now and doesn't want to lose that income.

Mom's caregiver's biological daughter happens to be a niece through my deceased brother (he raised her in Missouri and was not in the mother's life). This niece fraudulently had my mom sign POA over to her so her mother could get more money. I had POA previously and didn't even know they took my mom to the bank (mom has dementia) to make her sign POA over to my niece.

Mom's caregiver isn't even a blood relative and now she is trying to keep me from my mom so she can keep an income. I don't want to have to drive an hour away just to visit my mom in the first place. Can I legally get my mom back from this woman? How do I go about it? I just retired, so I can move my mom in with me now.

Find Care & Housing
Make police report. Petition Probate court to become her guardian.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to LCPELC

Following the thread backwards...

Mom's caregiver is Mom's granddaughter's mother, yes? So that Mom's new POA is her granddaughter.

Your brother may not have pursued his relationship with the (now) caregiver, but it must have existed; and the fact that This Woman became your mother's primary caregiver rather undermines the idea that her former connection with the family is mere coincidence.

So. Your mother was living with another lady, now deceased, with TW as their joint primary caregiver. For how long?
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to Countrymouse

You need to talk to a lawyer or your local Adult Protective Services. They will be able to help you determine what you can and cannot do.

The one thing I do not understand, and it may be due to jurisdictions, but here a bank does not confer POA, nor can they create the document.

If there are medical records showing that Mum could not create a new POA document due to being incapacitated due to dementia, any document she signed should be void.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to Tothill

Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter