How can I give up power of attorney over parent with dementia who can not sign anything or communicate well?

I want to give up power of attorney. I have been caring for my elderly father who is in very poor health and has pretty advanced dementia. He had one leg amputated late last year and could very well lose THE OTHER LEG due to poor circulation. He has been in and out of the hospital for numerous health problems - you name it, he probably has it. Luckily he is retired military and has very good insurance. He broke his hip last year. He no longer qualifies for ANY rehab. This whole situation has been nothing short of a nightmare for my husband and myself. He has applied for medicaid and has been denied before. The last nursing home discharged him when he was in the hospital. The one he is in now is threatening to do the same saying that I have to pick him up in one week if his balance is not paid. He now is awaiting medicaid and lives from paycheck to paycheck and can only make partial payments. Obviously, his pay is not enough to cover the cost of the nursing home. I have no where to put him. He can not live with us because he is very needy and needs constant supervision - also he cannot clim the stairs of our third floor apartment. I think the financial agent at the home is avoiding me. It is like she is giving me an ultimatum, but he has just been there three months, and owes only a little for the two months he could not pay in full. My husband and I have already spent a few thousand on him and cannot continue to do so. No other family members want to help for various reasons. How to do I give up my POA? I can no longer deal with the emotional stress and financial burden. I am afraid of collectors coming after me. Where's the online form for this? Can someone please advise? My father cannot sign anything, so how can I accomplish this without him?

12

Answers

Will this help you: Look up "resignation of agent" power of attorney -- I think there may be forms online.

Thank you!

I would call the Area Agency on Aging in your county or city. Tell them what is going on. They can't just kick your father out. What it comes down to is they threaten you because they want paid now, and they don't know you have info, they are going on the fact that you are trusting them completely without any other info. The Area Agency on Aging has lots of info and social workers to help you. You can also contact Ombudsman in your area to help investigate the situation. Good luck and keep us posted, Hugs to you!!

Thank you! Your answer did help me feel better about the whole situation. It is complicated.

They can't force you to pick him up with the POA. At MIL's nursing home occasionally new residents show up that were basically abandoned. Some were picked up by police The social worker and the nursing home process it through the county court system.

You don't have to take him. Talk to the social worker and ask her what is going to happen when you refuse. I don't believe they can move him to another state at this point.

Sorry, these answers were not any help. I want to know what to do when my dad is about to be kicked out of a home for having a balance while he is medicaid pending. THAT is my question. I am at my wit's end. If I give up my POA, then can they force me to pick him up???

Sorry, but your answers sound very generic. A lawyer drew up the POA over two years ago. I have been paying his bills eve since then - with his money. Since he helped me in life, I tried to do the right thing to help him SOMEWHAT, but this cannot continue.

The nursing home wants ANYONE to pay his balance. They say that I have to take him in a few days if it is not paid. Got it now? I have no idea about what to do.

I am also offended by the answers I received, but I will chalk them up to no knowing all of the details. I know exactly what a POA is. His resources are GONE. He sold his house over 5 years ago and gave away his money like a dumb dumb. I question his competency now for doing that because he left such a big mess and did not plan for any of this. Everyone came around when he was handing the money out to various relatives as a "gift", but now they are no where to be found. None would ever contribute anything to help him or us. Everyone is selfish in our family. It is a long story. He never saved anything. HIs money burned a hole in his pocket. WHY DID WE HELP HIM OUT??? Because no nursing home would take him if we didn't. The would have put him in a ghetto nursing home or put him in another state - far away from us. I have been his POA for over two years and it is a nightmare. There is always SOMETHING going wrong with his health. He has not yet been approved for medicaid. It is such BS. I want to give up POA because they are threatening to kick him out of the nursing home and I have absolutely no where for him to go. Do you get a clearer picture now? THAT is why.