I am a caregiver for a mentally challenged brother, is there any benefit available?


My brother gets social security, he is just over the med. He lives in a nearby city, I order and manage his meds, take him to 2 doctors, pay all bills, maintain his condo ect....Thanks Joe Warren MI

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.


I don't know about your state, but others have written elsewhere on this AC website that some states will pay family members a very small amount, for doing things like you are described doing for your brother. But the amount is just very small. Check with MI medicaid offices. There might be a little bit of help--and also there might be some time off for you, if they have alternate caregivers to do some of the things instead of you.
Helpful Answer (0)

Are you asking if you can be paid? If yes, that’s a very common question. Majority of siblings do not get paid for caring for another sibling, unless the sibling is financially able to pay from their own pocket.

See if your sibling qualifies for Medicaid some how, the State might allow a trained Caregiver come in to help for a couple hours. Also check to see if your State is one of those States that has a “Cash and Counseling” program to help you out, it‘s worth looking into. Note that each State has their own rules, regulations, and programs.

Also contact your county agency on aging [assuming your brother is a senior citizen] for programs, such as Case Management, Meals on Wheels, Adult Day Care, housing, care referrals, etc,... go to the website link below.... click on your State.... now click on the city/county. https://www.agingcare.com/local/Area-Agency-on-Aging

And please come back to the forums if you have any Caregiving questions, we would be more than happy to share our experiences with you, and give you ideas on what to do.
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.