Got chewed out by grandpa's adult daycare, what do I do?

I've been taking my grandpa to adult daycare for several months now. His medicaid pays for up to 5 weekdays for his adult daycare and I was told by his daycare when he was first registered that they only charge his insurance for days he actually attends and I don't have to call if grandpa is absent from daycare. Well today, the owner of the daycare complained that I should take him more often because if I only take him once a week, "they" (i'm guessing medicaid) do not pay her (the owner). From my understanding, the owner gets paid more by medicaid if he attends more than once a week. She was trying to stress that I should at least take him 3 times a week. It seems when she suggested this, it was more for her benefit (money wise) than grandpa's benefit. I told her the reason why I do not take him as often is because our schedule changes all the time. Also, since I am a full time caregiver of grandpa, he doesn't have to go to daycare 3-5 days a week. Since grandpa is antisocial anyway and he's 91 years old, it takes awhile to be motivated and get ready, he likes the comfort of his own house where he can roam around freely, read, watch tv, sit in his patio relaxing, and eat home cooked meals. I only take him to daycare whenever I want respite and/or so he can be around other people besides me but I feel pressured to take him to daycare every week. One time I took him at the end of the week and the son of the owner acted as if he resented me as if I did something wrong. Sometimes I don't even feel like taking him there because it's not worth the drive if I feel up to par and I can watch him myself. I'm grateful that there is an adult daycare who did accept his insurance because other adult daycares I've contacted only accepts private pay. How do I deal with this situation?

25

Answers

1 2 3
@msdiva - that's good to know. Been studying and learning more about the law of attraction. It seems like businesses who care more about humanity than money itself attracts more business and stays in business longer.

That's what I thought it was about money she figured if he comes more days she can get more money...here in Ks it doesn't matter I taken care of people that goes only once a week and it never issue so the --- with her

Oldfriend2me's answer was really helpful as far as advice from the provider, which you must remember is a business and in it to make money. Whatever the medicaid provider rules, you also have to ensure that the business is willing to work with you. That said, as others have mentioned the place you go to should have clearly communicated their needs/issues to you. It sounds as if they are not good at that so perhaps it would be helpful if you started that conversation by telling them what your needs are and why and asking them what theirs are as a facility, and trying to find some common meeting ground between the two.

It might be fine with medicaid, but the facility will likely fill your spot with someone else who comes three days a week.

That is good news, 75104, but maybe the daycare is not able to hold a space for him without regular attendance. They can only have a specific number each day.

I called my grandpa's medicaid to know what the guidelines are for his adult daycare program. Medicaid confirmed that the daycare only bills them when my grandpa attends. I asked medicaid if they knew why the daycare owner said that they don't pay her if grandpa goes only once a week. Medicaid said that they DO pay her but it's not much and she "prefers" that he goes a full week for more pay. I told medicaid my grandpa can't do a full week because of his age and his limitations so we go on random days/hours and medicaid said it's fine.

Reverseroles, I am sorry that you apparently have had bad experiences with adult day programs. We went to one that was less than stellar, too. But the nonprofit we used for several years definitely cared about their clients as people.

Hi Reverseroles, Medicaid won't pay unless the person actually attends. So if they're expecting him and he doesn't come, they don't get reimbursed. Medicaid considers it fraud to bill for no-shows.

Daycare has to staff for the number of people expected and they have to pay their staff regardless. It certainly could have been handled better by the daycare- just communicate with the client. It's a much better strategy than chewing out the client.

My Moms previous daycare said they have to come at least twice a week. I guess you could say bill medicaid anyway and you will bring him when you want , or get a new daycare. routine is important for your Dad at 91, how does he feel about it? If you only want here and there, why not hire an on call person to come to your house. Daycare is a business and money is the root of it all, believe me. When you stop going, you will understand that they didnt care about them as people at all, its great for you but money in their pockets for them. Daycares can be quite different, make sure you have a good one!

Jessie-
I agree, these places are normally licensed for a maximum number of participants each day. And if Grandpa doesn't show up that is a space that could be used by another. Good point! The daycare needs to fill their permitted slots on a daily basis especially if it is Medicaid funds that pay for it. I don't know what the rate is but it is quite low.

1 2 3