I have been the caregiver for my mom for about 5 years now. I've tried working on and off. But recently went through all my money. Someone mentioned that I can go through an agency and maybe get paid for taking care of my elderly mother who needs help. I do a lot. She doesn't drive, had a bad heart, depression, and take her to all her doctors appointments, feed her, takes her to doctors appointments. etc. I have spent all my money care for her. I was told that I may be able to go through an agency to help aid financially my situation. We have had agencies before so I can work - but my mom is very tough. She likes me around. I need to get back to work because I just signed up for medical assistance three months ago. Someone said I qualify for another program - but I didn't want to hear it at that time. But my financial position has gotten worse. I can hire an agency and may eventually do that - She had a few before but right now I need to try to get some funding in order to remain at home for a little while longer. I am with her 24-7 and I feel like I work 24-7. She's tough. I am 51 and need financial assistance. Is there anything I can do?

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
JLoeffler, the vast majority of family caregivers do not get paid taking care of a parent... unless that parent can pay you from their own retirement fund.

You could try to see if your Mom qualifies for Medicaid [which is different from Medicare]. Some States have a payment program, some don't. If your State is one of them, note that pay would be very minimal.

Please do NOT pay out of your own pocket for your Mom's care. If Mom cannot afford to pay on her own, you may want to consider placing Mom in a nursing home where Medicaid will pay for her room/board and care. I realize this isn't always an option with many families.
Helpful Answer (2)

In California, you can apply through IHSS (In Home Support Services) to be your mom's caregiver.
Your mom will have to be eligible for Medi-Cal and apply for it also. It's OK if she already has Medicare.

You would have to attend a class and pay $36. to be fingerprinted. You will make minimum wage. They will tell you how many hours your mom qualifies for after a meeting in her home.

As for other states, I'm sorry I can't say. I would check your local Social Services Department.

You can also apply for food stamps (EBT in Cal.) and possibly assistance from the power company because she's a senior.

Go to your nearest Senior Center to see all of what you/she would qualify for.

You might be able to sign up with a caregiving agency and ask to be assigned to your mom IF she has paid caregiver hours through the state.
Helpful Answer (2)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter