Is there a form to fill out.

Find Care & Housing
If you have all the money in the world, call up an agency. There are plenty of them. It will cost you a pretty penny though. Otherwise you'll have to do leg work. Go to the local senior center and hit up people for a lead, go to the local hospital and randomly ask nurses if they know of anyone looking for extra shifts. Just ask around. That's what I did when we need a bit of help. It took a while but we found someone good and she costs a quarter of what the agencies wanted to charge.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to needtowashhair

Now I'm in a similar situation and I also need advice. I was in search of a good care home for my nan. She's great, and I love her very much, butI didn't find the right one. My employee told me that their grandma also needed constant care and they sign an agreement with the home care service. John said that he and his wife are very pleased. I'm in confusion. Should I call them?
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to elefmaan

If you are looking to find a caregiver in your area, click on "Find Care" on the Blue ribbon at the top of this website.  You also need to determine what your Dad's current and future needs are/might be based on his health/medical issues or disease problems. 

The Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) are a series of basic activities performed by individuals on a daily basis necessary for independent living at home or in the community. There are many variations on the definition of the activities of daily living, but most organizations agree there are 5 basic categories: Personal hygiene, Dressing, Eating, Toileting, and Transferring/Mobility.
Instrumental Activities of Daily Living (IADLs) are actions that are important to being able to live independently, but are not necessarily required activities on a daily basis. The instrumental activities are not as noticeable as the Activities of Daily Living when it comes to loss of functioning, but functional ability for IADLs is generally lost prior to ADLs. IADLs can help determine with greater detail the level of assistance required by an elderly or disabled person. The IADLs include: 

1. Basic communication skills - such as using a regular phone, mobile phone, email, or the Internet
2. Transportation - either by driving oneself, arranging rides, or the ability to use public transportation
3. Meal preparation - meal planning, cooking, clean up, storage, and the ability to safely use kitchen equipment and utensils
4. Shopping - the ability to make appropriate food and clothing purchase decisions
5. Housework - doing laundry, washing dishes, dusting, vacuuming, and maintaining a hygienic place of residence
6. Managing medications - taking accurate dosages at the appropriate times, managing re-fills, and avoiding conflicts
7. Managing personal finances - operating within a budget, writing checks, paying bills, and avoiding scams

Copy & Paste URL to your browser:

ADL (Activities of Daily Living/Self-Care)

IADL (Instrumental Activities of Daily Living/Measures of Independence)

Geriatric Mood Scale (Depression Screen)

Hope that these help you to assess what assistance your Dad needs now and in the future.  Good Luck.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to DeeAnna
elefmaan Dec 3, 2018
Thanks, your answer really helped me. During this time, I learned about such services. Many of them don't provide due attention to the elderly. So I found several options. Here's one of them such. I looked at the reviews and I liked it, but one fact confuses me. Could these reviews be fake?
Are you your dad's caregiver, and/or are you looking for a caregiver for him? I see that you work fulltime and that he is now living independently.

What level of care does he require?

What is his primary impairment that requires a caregiver? For example, does he have mobility problems, hearing loss, dementia, COPD -- what makes him meed a caregiver?

Explain your situation in a little more detail, and probably someone here can share similar experience or direct you to an appropriate resource.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to jeannegibbs

Details are kind of sparse there, Lrainey. First of all, this is a forum for people to share ideas on caregiving. We aren’t a health care agency.

If you are looking for advice on how to hire a caregiver, call Medicare/Medicaid and the supplemental insurance company. You can also speak with Dad’s doctor and see if they can advise on an agency with a good reputation they’ve heard of. There is also your local Area Agency on Aging (google for the phone number) to call for their advice.
Helpful Answer (2)
Reply to Ahmijoy

Subscribe to
Our Newsletter