What do I do if I can't trust my Mom?

She has parkinson disease for 2 years. Had a major back surgery and is in pain since. Back surgeon cant explain why. They recommend her taking vicodin. Vicodin makes her more off balance. I cant trust her with pain meds. She has shown signs of addictive behavior. Ive been able to get her off of it but just last night i caught her taking Lyrica without my permission and lied to me that she didnt take it and that she doesnt know how it got into the drawer. Im losing my mind over this. I had this lyrica in ny cabinet upstairs in my room. My mom would have had to climb a flight of stairs to get to it. She is a compulsive liar with a drug addiction and im losing my mind over it. I dont like liars and drugs. She shared her vicodins with her brother and grandson in the past. Im so disgusted! I dont know what to do next!!!!help?

23

Answers

1 2 3
I'd recommend a locking cabinet and only one or two persons administer her drugs. Even though I take care of my mom evenings and weekends, the day care person is the one who dispenses the drugs (into one of those pill boxes that can be dispensed for a week at a time). That way we know her meds have been ordered if they are running low, she's not doubling up on meds that may cause adverse effects and she's not missing dosages.

You can buy a video cam at from radio shack best buys for 25 bucks. Set the cam up and them when you get home or view on line. I have video cam with my security company in my house and can look inside my house all through out the day at my pets or see when my kids get home.

Muffincat I'm definitely not telling my mother that! She thinks I'm the pain relief Nazi. Not good enough that she was glugging down ibuprofen enough to give herself an ulcer a few years back, she firmly believes that a 'couple' extra paracetamol a day can't hurt you…

What part of Do Not Exceed The Stated Dose is ambiguous? I agree about the teens. I'd show videos of acute liver failure to all secondary school age children if I had my way and see if they still thought it was romantic.

Country mouse I fully agree about the paracetamol, but some how those old livers seem to tolerate the stuff. Ive met folk taking 4x 4 x day.. or some even 6 at a hit... and not one little liver cell turns over and tries to spit it out. I personally cant even take one!! Then the dear little OD teenager who has broken up with the b/friend takes a card full, and tells mom, 6hrs later and wonders what all the fuss is about as her liver dies on her, due to the once only ... not what she expected as a dramatic non suicidal but by your own hand death scenario.
Agree fully that its back to the health provider to sort out the medication problems and the pain, and allow OP to be a daughter not a security guard

I have to ask where she is getting the meds in such quantities that she is able to abuse them?

Muffincat if they're really doubling up on paracetamol that should simplify matters before too long. Though not in a good way.

Jenz I sympathise with your worry about your mother's abusing what are, after all, narcotics. It must be very frightening for you, and very hard to know what to do. I was going to suggest a locked medicine cabinet, too; but for one thing locks can be broken and for another this is your home, it's not a bank vault. You shouldn't need to lock things away as long as they're kept in a safe place where they can't be taken accidentally or unnoticed. Very difficult for you, that you feel you have to.

I wonder, though. With Parkinson's and a back injury, your mother's pain is real. At the same time as being as strict as you reasonably can with her current meds, would it be a good idea to get back to her surgeon and get him to buck his ideas up? He doesn't know why she's in pain? Well - FIND OUT and deal with it. Because his patient is a little old lady who is living in constant pain. And if he can't get anywhere, he needs to refer her to someone who can.

The other plus that comes with focusing on tackling the pain issue is that instead of your being anxious and angry with your mother (understandably, of course) you would be offering her active help with her pain problem; which might usefully take the limelight off the addiction problem. It's hard enough to face up to being an addict, almost impossible, I'd have thought, when you are also coincidentally in genuine pain.

This is me being seriously naïve, I expect - but why do people like taking Vicodin? It's a horrible drug! What's wrong with a single malt?

If she is truly an addict, SHE must want to stop and she needs help. If she wants recovery, Narcotics Anonymous is available for free http://www.na.org/. Otherwise she will do whatever it takes to get "high" and other than locking her up, there is not much that can be done.

I use the machine Wendela mentioned for my mom. It beeps and flashes. She can only get her prescribed meds at 9 am and 8 pm. But they sit there in the box if she doesnt get them. Then at next dose it progresses to the next pills and she cant get the ones she skiped. I have to tell her where the Advil and Aleve are if she gets back pain or a headache . (on the back of the counter.). She forgets they are there.
I can see when I fill the box whether she missed any. Since she has several hours to remember she does pretty good. As above maybe a small safe would keep the other meds safe. I bet you are getting crazy over this. If she is like my mom, she will hound you until you satisfy her. I like the idea of the look alike pills. Prayers for you.

As PST wisely says, lock up the meds and call 911 when and if she goes into withdrawal. Ultimately, this is kinder that enabling her and will get her (and you) the help she needs.

Plain and simple get lock box.

1 2 3