How can I get help for 83yr. old cancer patient/recent widow needs social services?

Still able to take care of basic needs. 83 yr. old female, recently widowed, on chemo for kidney cancer (with some side effects), doesn't drive, lives w/family members in Dutchess County, can't afford assisted living (modest savings)

How can she get help with:
--HEARING AIDS: preferably cheap (used/retooled) ones (severely handicapped now; has only 1 inadequate h. aid)
--PAPERWORK: taxes, bills, Medicare forms, etc.
--TRANSPORTATION (shopping, going to NYC oncologist)
--SOCIAL LIFE/EMOTIONAL SUPPORT: mostly alone now; friends like me not close

1

Answer

Mom gets $1600 a month in SS, and her husband was a WWII vet, she can get $1113 from VA. We rent her house out for $1350+ a month and put $6K down payment at an ALF, who lowered the rent from $2795 to $2195 a month because of the down payment. And the rate is locked in, no increases. Her level of care is $200/mo, which is "Level I" meaning she does not need a lot of assistance. It is workable, and a good facility will help you sort out the financial aid forms.