Cancer diagnosis, any advice?

My dad has been through so much the last few years. Dialysis, stroke, aphasia, but he met each challenge head on with a truly amazing amount of determination. Everything was improving, until now. I just found out he has lung cancer, the slow growing type (non small, I think). I feel very guilty as although he seemed to be getting better, sometimes I felt like I was about to crack with all I have to do. I was just wondering last week how much longer I could on like this. I feel just awful, and am dreading telling him. If anyone has any advice on 1) how to break this news to someone, & 2) how not to feel guilty over wanting all the work & difficulties of care taking to end. I'm all ears.

18

Answers

Oh my gosh, Sendhelp, that is unbelievable!!! I definitely will encourage him to do that. thank you for sharing. I'm not counting on it, but wouldn't it be so wonderful if this were all a horrible mistake!

After receiving the Ca diagnosis, stopping all tests and treatments, signing dnr, and legal paperwork, getting ready to die, being sent away....
My elder loved one does not have Ca of the lung.

So get a second opinion.

SuzeeQ, your Dad's reaction, "Well, at my age, there's going to be something," reminds me of what my mother said to her geriatrician: "I'm going to die of something. If it is going to be cancer, so be it."

This post was not about what treatment option to consider, Hospicesucks. It was about breaking the news. suzeeQ took advice and it worked out. I assume that after they see the oncologist if she wants advice about treatment options she will post again.

Hospicesucks, if these 100 natural ways to cure cancer were really true, it would be making front page headlines world wide.

Now, medical science is coming up with a vaccine to wipe out certain cancer tumors. The vaccine will be starting soon in the human trial studies.

I will. Might've been simple, but it meant a lot.

Suzie, I'm so glad it went well, and glad that the script helped.

I was simply passing forward a gift from the past, where I was given scripts. Pass one on in the future, please. They are not hard to do for otbers!

After days of feeling nauseous, I told my dad this evening about his cancer diagnosis. @BarbBrooklyn, I memorized your lines like an actor. "Dad; I talked to Dr. Z today and they got the results back from your tests. You have some abnormal cells growing in your lungs. The cells are cancerous, and the good news is that they are growing very slowly. We' re going to visit a specialist doctor tomorrow (next week) to see what they recommend". It made my normally tongue tied self so much more confident and feeling in charge. THANK YOU!!! That, along with the advice from everyone else here, and additional information from the doctors, I felt it went as well as possible. My dad's reaction was, 'Well, at my age, there's going to be something. Do you like my new socks I ordered from LLBean?' We then sat down, had a lovely dinner, and discussed everything under the sun, but cancer. Thank you ALL. You made a dreadful task more manageable (for lack of a better word). Of course, dealing with the diagnosis is the main issue, but having to deliver the news was a tough thing to face.

His GP recommended an oncologist who specializes in hospice & palliative care. When I spoke with the GP he didn't sound like he was giving up, but also was realistic in mentioning that dialysis patients lives are already shortened due to the stress of dialysis. He said though that he never makes predictions as to life expectancy, which I think is very wise. My dads aware that we were supposed to get results in 3-5 days & we're on day 4. His birthday party is this weekend. On one hand I think he'd want to know. On the other hand I just want him to have a nice time at his party. The dr called me with the news on his birthday (ugh!). 

I mention the xmas gift incident as an example of his inability to prioritize in some areas.