Can a veteran get help with the purchase of a chair-lift for the stairs?


My husband and l are 81 years old and can no longer climb stairs. My legs are bad, l have diabetes and both of us are prone to falling.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing


Show: Some adaptive devices can be considered.

"VA also offers grants to Veterans with certain service-connected disabilities to build an adapted home or install ramps, widen doors, or make other modifications to live more independently. VA operates three types of grants that accommodate Veterans’ unique circumstances: Specially Adapted Housing, Special Housing Adaptation, and Temporary Residence Adaptation."

Review the site, then if you haven't quailfied for any VA benefits yet, that's the first step. If you have qualified, ask your VA PCP, or contact one of the Service Officers to find out the procedure.

If you need more detail, post back and let us know.

Another option is to reconfigure the first floor so that your bedroom is on it and you don't have to climb stairs. Do you have a bathroom on the first floor?

You can hire someone to bring down the furniture that you'll need, and essentially live on the first floor.
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.