My dad was in the nursing home for 8 years, he passed away 2 years ago. My mother is selling her home and moving into a senior apartment. Her home is only worth 60,000. She qualifies for low income housing and she has no other assets. Can any of the $ earned from the sale of her home go to the nursing home?

I can't believe Medicaid didn't put a lean on the home after Dad's passing.
Are you assuming that Mom qualifies or has she been OK'd for low income housing knowing she was selling her home?

The sale of the house may change things. Low income housing is for those people living off SS and maybe a small pension.

I agree with worriedinca. That money will be considered as income and will effect her indigent status. They will find out. My brother lives in low income housing and has to prove that he qualifies for housing annually. He has to provide receipts as part of his annual recertification & they do check bank account balances. It’s the government- they have access to everything.
Reply to Shane1124

Many low income programs also have asset limits. Just a suggestion to verify. If no lien was placed at death, she should be ok. Did she get a letter?
Reply to Guestshopadmin

If your father was on Medicaid and a lien was placed on the home they will keep the lien in force. If she is applying for federal low income housing she may, as stated above, be disqualified.
Reply to UsedupDIL
Runto1963 Oct 20, 2018
No lein on the home. She already quailfies for low income housing, any monies made from the sale of her home will not be considered as income and does not change her low income status.
(0)
The money may disqualify her from low income housing. Check the program.
Reply to Guestshopadmin
Runto1963 Oct 20, 2018
The money from the sale of her house does not change her qualification for low income housing. I am wondering if any of the money from the sale will go to the nursing home to cover any of the costs my dad may have accrued.
(0)