My mother has ALS which is slowly progressing. My stepfather is taking care of her. Location is Buffalo, NY. Regards.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
If you are asking if a spouse will be paid by Medicaid for caregiving, the answer is No for Medicaid in New York.
Helpful Answer (1)

CCC, I believe he would have to take CNA training courses from an accredited college. That would seriously impact on the time he has to spend caring for your mother.

A possible alternative option to at least give him support on a different level is to ask her doctor about palliative care. It's not hospice; it's in home support at different levels for people with chronic medical conditions. My understanding is that, unlike home health care, there's no time limit on the services.

I've been exploring this option and learned that some palliative care is only by phone - check in calls periodically or monthly - very little care in my opinion. Others will send out a medical professional to assess the situation and determine what can be done, what kind of medical support is required/appropriate, and on a limited basis in the home.

The advantage is not that you get in home care, but that you get periodic and sometimes condition specific medical advice for someone without the burden of having to go to a doctor. I know I'm not answering your question with this diversion, but I thought it might provide a higher level of confidence on the medical level, as your SF debates whether or not he would have the time to invest in CNA courses.

And he could be learning from a CNA while he/she is providing care.

And this is in fact a question to ask any doctor who scripts for palliative care ( perhaps your mother's neurologist, if she/he is treating her for the ALS?) - can a CNA be provided on a regular basis? This could be a major benefit to your family if a palliative care agency/company can provide a CNA regularly.

I've been told by the palliative companies I've contacted that it's paid for by Medicare.
Helpful Answer (1)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter