My mom lives with me and wants no contact with my sister. Can my sister come after me legally, if our mom refuses to see her?

25

Answers

1 2 3
Just looked up OMBUDSMAN. Checking to see if they take folks who don't live in nursing homes. Thanks so much for the tip Ted.

POA change was done with an attorney, notarized and all. Certified letter was sent to sister by attorney. She is not relinquishing her authority claiming my mother is incompetent. I am wondering if she did have the court papers drawn up declare her and when the summoms was sent to my mother, it went to my sisters house as she was taking moms mail. So in essence my mother never would have shown up to court? Just a thought. Sister has mom's money all tied up now I think in a trust according to the bank and mom has no access to anything at all. Sister has funds in 3 different accounts and mom's name is on none of them. I am now working on reporting her and have a question in to my attorney and have e-mailed an elder law attorney. The problem is the money, my sister has all moms money and it using it to come after me but I am not in a financial situation to go to an attorney for help and my mom wants and attorney to get her money back but again, mom has no access to her money anymore and she can't pay either.

And i believe that Selfish Siblings is correct, if your mom has not been declared incompetent by a judge, She can change her POA anytime, althought the ex POA does have to be notified, preferably by the attorney through certified mail.

Your state's OMBUDSMAN office is also a good idea.

Start with your state's dept. of aging, or Agency on Aging, and then check with the Local District Attorney's office, They usually have an elder fraud office. But you're best bet is to see an Elderlaw Attorney as soon as possible.

Babs,
#1: Get an elder care attorney now. Someone who has experience in this field, not just the lawyer down the road. #2: I'm not sure, but I think if you have you Mom sign POA papers (in the rpesense of a lawyer) with you or your uncle, your sister's POA is rendered invalid. Then, you can go to the bank and move your mother's money. You don't have to tell your sister, just do it. You need to have a plan and a lawyer can help you put all these pieces together. I get the whole angry thing, but don't let it own you. I had it for a long time with my selfish siblings f*ing with me while I take care of Mom AND dad. I would also recommend (as I'm sure a lawyer would too) that at this point, you need to CEASE communciation with your sister. If she calls, don't pick up. Do not allow her into your home. Period. End of discussion. Sounds hard, but it's not. I did it and my life is a lot simplier now. You can do all of this without or while you're in the process of rendering your mom incompetent. Just my two cents and please anyone weigh in if you think this is wrong advise for our friend!

xoxo
- Selfish Siblings

Who do I call to get the involved as to where this money is? It's time for us to find out what is going on since my sister is not giving up the POA. I need to know what she would have needed to do to get my mother delcared incopetent and if she did it. I don't think just a note from a doctor is good enough especially is it is her employer. Please advise, maybe dept of aging, some type of elder care place. I'm just not sure where I should head next. My mom is really mad and wants her money back and her brother to be her POA and her wishes are not being honored.

Are... you sure sis hasn't already spent all the money? Do you know if it's still actually there?

I'd call a lawyer ASAP if for no other reason than to cover my own backside!

There should also be a way to call for an audit of these funds in your sister's "care".

Yes, you do have to go to court to declare someone incompetent which will included a notarized statement from a doctor(s) that the person in question is not able to conduct their business in a business like manner, why, and their qualifications for making such a judgement. I almost had to do this for my mother's protection, but I do have the two notarized letters from two doctors, one of which is her neurologist. Feel free to keep on venting. This is one of the great benefits of this site.

Well I tried to get the grandchildren to see grandma and it turned to all out war. They want me to let them see her on their terms and the hell with what grandma wants. So after laying awake all night fuming over how they treated me I have decided to contact aging care or elder care and see what my options are. I am sick and tired of being abuse verbally and emotionally and have had enough. I am going to ask the elder care people also about my sister taking her money. I just saw in our paper today that a man was being brought up on charges of taking money out of the account he was POA of and moving it and it is considered fraud. So it's time to check things out. Mom is considereing filing a restraining order against them now. They keep blaming me and saying I am making this about me and that is not the case at all. This is all grandma and all her wishes. She wants my sister to give her money back and that's why she is mainly angry. I don't blame her. That money is hers and both my dad and she worked long and hard to have what they have and no one should be taking that away without moms permission. Do you have to go to court to declare someone incompetent or can one letter from your physician boss say someone is incapacitated? I've just had enough of this whole situation. I try to be nice and bring them together with their grandmother and I am the one who turns out to be the bad guy. Now these two girls have no kids because they are too selfish and no nothing about taking care of anyone but themselves. How dare they judge someone who is responsible for another adult especially and elderly one when they are too damn selfish to care about anyone but themselves. Sorry I just need to vent as I'm pretty angry right now

1 2 3