My parents have a home and some bonds. Their income is around $3000 monthly. My sister has a part time job, but many times has to miss to take care of my parents. Does my sister qualify for any compensation?

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
agibbons, go to the blue bar near the top of this page, click on "Money & Legal", now click on "Paying for Care".

Majority of grown children do not get paid for caring for their elderly parent, unless the parent is financially able to pay from their own funds. If so, that parent and the grown child will need to put together an employment contract.

Also, check with your local Council on Aging to see what is available for Aides to come to the house for a couple of hours to help give your sister more time to be at her part-time job. Your sister will need to look into the future where she would probably have to leave her part-time job and put in many more hours caring for your parents. Be careful, it could become a 24 hour a day marathon.

You might want to check to see if your parents could qualify for Medicaid, each State has different requirement and different things they do to help or pay for.
Helpful Answer (1)

Compensation from who? A government program? I'm not sure unless possibly they are on medicaid. They could create a caregiver contract with her and pay her so much a month for doing certain caregiving tasks which would need to be listed in the contract and signed by both parties. It sounds like your sister is risking loosing her part time job. Can she really afford that? What is your role in their care? Do you two have a short term and long term plan for your parents' current and future care? Make sure to not to throw each other or one of the other under the bus while taking care of your parents care and safety needs. You can do a search for being paid for taking care of parents using the search site box in the upper right hand corner of this page. There is a lot of information there.

Let us know how things work out.
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter