Can my sister and I be sued by the nursing home for a look back balance due from Medicad in New Jersey?i

16

Answers

It is in writing and my sister is sending a check for her share thanks

The lawyer put the advice to gift funds in writing? Go to the website of the State Bar association and figure out how to file a complaint. In writing, send the letter, with a copy of her written directions, return receipt .

We are going to pay and then I will look into going after the lawyer especially she is an Elder Lawyer with lots of experience

Cant take care of her at home she has dementia and I'm 71 with a heart condition live with my son his wife and my husband in my son's house

Yes she did

You may have to take care of mom at home for the duration of the penalty and it will depend upon how much was gifted.

The way it works is you'll have to pay the NH and then sue the attorney for his bad advice. Hope he put the advice in writing, otherwise it's going to be a rough road.

Your mother received care at the nursing home, right? Sounds like a transfer penalty is outstanding because of transactions in the look back period. You sure have a beef with a lawyer who told you to do "gifting" from mom's funds. BUT that does not excuse you from paying the nursing home from mom's funds (or from the funds you were gifted by mom) - if they did the work, mom or you as POA owe them. Simple justice, simple morality. Talk to the nursing home and work out arrangements for payment. Lawsuits are very expensive - better (and cheaper) to do the moral thing.

YOUR lawyer told you explicitly to write yourselves checks as gifts from your parent's funds? Should be reported to the State Bar association.

nextavenue.org/could-you-be-forced-pay-moms-nursing-home-bill