My friend has been under guardianship for a long time. Not sure it should have happened to her. Although she is developmentally disabled. I met her when I moved into an independent-living HUD apartment building for the disabled (not connected with ALF/NH, etc.). She was living here alone for a long time, and then about 6 years with her partner, who died 2 years ago. All that time, and ever since, she has had a support coordinator and caregivers who have come and made her meals, cleaned, took her to appointments, etc.

A month ago, she had two diabetic episodes; the 2nd one landed her in the hospital. From there, rehab, and from there, psych rehab. Now she's been told by the guardian that she will have to give up her apartment here, and move into a group home.

I don't know what's best for her; well, she needs more than she's been getting. She wasn't eating the food that her caregivers prepared for her. She has emotional episodes that are sometimes dangerous to others. She had one with the case manager from the guardianship agency, so that's pretty much it for her, I believe. It's unfortunate that her family has deserted her.

I was not-so-subtly told by one of the management professionals here where I live that if she had someone who was POA, then that person could go into her apartment and get personal things for her (I have a key, so does management).

My question is as stated above. She really is... incompetent. Financially and legally speaking. She is a love when she's happy! And we all miss her. I do think the handwriting's on the wall. And of course, I have my own health issues (disabled).

One last point: When I first moved here, I felt so "moved" by my friend's story that I started to help her. I wrote a letter on her behalf to the guardianship company, stating her great dissatisfaction with the doctor they send her to, and her desire to be free from guardianship. WOW, WAS THAT A MISTAKE! Next I knew, she and her partner had received a letter from the guardian's lawyer, which included a long letter from said doctor. MY NAME WAS MENTIONED about 8 times; each referred to me as someone who tried to manipulate a developementally disabled person. This document sits in the courthouse of the county where I live! It's recorded and filed for posterity. Live & learn!

Any advice, well appreciated. I read many of these articles and wish I had a caregiver, really. But finances (well, obviously.. HUD); also I am on a waiting list for weekly personal care (not nursing), but it's a very long list. I was told I need more, like a hospitalization, to be pushed "up" the list. Ah, well. I hire a housecleaner who also grocery shops for me (expensive but I need it), and I shop online exclusively. Have family for doctor visits and emergencies. Love my apartment! It's beautiful. Thanks to all and blessed be.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
No you cannot be granted a power of attorney by someone under guardianship. Person does not have the capacity to manage own affairs and so the guardian was appointed. You can’t trump guardian authority with power of attorney granted by someone without legal “capacity”. Sorry she is struggling so.
Helpful Answer (2)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter