My Mom is severely disabled after multiple strokes about 5 years ago. My father is taking care of her but is wearing down. I do what we can to help them but do not live near them so I can't work a full time job.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Majority of grown children do not get paid for caring for their elderly parent, unless the parent is financially able to pay from their own funds. If a parent can afford to pay you, the parent might as well hire a certified trained caregiver… thus allowing you to keep your full-time job and benefits.

Check to see if your parent could qualify for Medicaid…. each State has different income requirements and eligibility requirements that the care recipient must meet. Some allow a grown child to get a small salary depending on the number of hours the program determines are needed. You might feel your parent needs 12 hours of care, the program might decide only 5 hours. Plus you might need to take some health care courses to qualify. And there is a question as to if the State will pay a grown child if he/she lives with the parent. Be aware that there are waiting lists for these programs and that States have been cutting back on them because of budgetary pressures.

Check with your local Council on Aging to see what is available for Aides to come to the house for a couple of hours to help give you time for yourself. Caregiver burnout comes quickly, in a matter of months for some. Go to the blue bar near the top of this page, click on "Money & Legal", now click on "Paying for Care" for more information.
Helpful Answer (1)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter