I have been staying home to care for my grandmother for the past 2 yrs. Every month it is a financial struggle to make ends meet. Can I get paid to care for her?

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Wy not talk to an elder law attorney near you?

Medicaid home care programs may be able to pay you for the care you provide.

If your grandfather was a veteran who served 1 day during wartime, your grandmother could get Aid & Attendance pension reimbursement to pay for your services.
Helpful Answer (0)

The most common question in the AgingCare Caregiver Forum is "How can I get paid to care for a family member?"

The vast majority of family caregivers do not get paid for the provision of care.

However, a loved one may use out-of-pocket retirement savings for this purpose. If a family member has enough funds to privately pay from savings, it is important to formally complete a Personal Care Agreement. Prior to receiving any payment, this document should be prepared to outline the services provided as well as the payment to be received. A personal care agreement can not be created retroactively to pay for past care.

The Caregiver Forum is a great place to come for answers. Additionally, I'd like to offer the following AgingCare articles as reference points:

To understand the purpose of and create a formal agreement between family members, please refer to:

It is important to note that most outside sources of pay will only pay for medically based home health care provided by an authorized agency. For a general overview regarding paying for care, please refer to:

And finally, if you would like further information regarding the decision to hire a home care company that fits your needs and your budget, please refer to:

If you are new to caregiving you will likely have future questions. There are many answers from experienced caregivers here. Don't hesitate to come back and ask.
Helpful Answer (2)

Tonja, the vast majority of grown children do not get paid for caregiving a parent or grandparent..... unless the parent or grandparent can pay you from their retirement fund. If yes, you would need to draw up an employment agreement.

You could check with your State Medicaid [different from Medicare] office to see if grandmother could qualify, and to see if the State has a program where you are paid. If yes, please note the pay would be minimal. Each State is different.
Helpful Answer (1)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter