Can I do for my father (home caregiver) and they will pay for me

Find Care & Housing
Call the Region 1B Area on Aging. Its in Southfield. Ask to speak with a Medicaid specialist and have them help you with a Medicaid waiver application. You can get paid through those services. You dad will get a certain amount of hours based on needs and you can be paid a reasonable wage as long as you are not acting POA. In your area, it would be $12 to $15 max now. In January, minimum wage increases to $12 an hour so I would ask for 15 to 20 and you will be entitled to accrued sick days, so a backup plan is needed. You are paid through a fiduciary so payroll taxes are taken out. You are also required to take a CPR and First Aid class to qualify.

Oh, and if you personally get Medicaid, you need to file for a waiver of work requirements as a caregiver with documentation or you will lose coverage.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to tacy022

Hi, Mazen. I'm afraid if family caregivers are paid, it is usually by the person needing care themselves, out of that person's income and savings. I see you're in Michigan. If your dad is on Medicaid, I would research if Michigan has a program to pay family caregivers of Medicaid patients at home. Also, is your dad a veteran? That may be another possibility. Does he happen to have a Long Term Care insurance policy? Some policies will pay a family member for care.

I hope you can find some answers and assistance for your situation.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to SnoopyLove

Subscribe to
Our Newsletter