This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
Beckybjork, the vast majority of grown children do not get paid for caring for a parent.... unless the parent can pay you from their own savings. If that is something your Mom could do, you would need to draw up an employment agreement and decide whether your Mom would pay the payroll taxes or you pay the taxes yourself.

As mentioned previously, your State probably has a payment program through Medicaid [which is different from Medicare], note that payment could be for a few hours each week and be minimum wage. Contact your State Medicaid Department.

Hopefully you are not quitting work from a full-time job. If yes, then you would lose your health care benefits, paid vacation and sick leave, payroll taxes into Social Security and Medicare, and whatever other benefit your employer may offer. I know, this can be a tough situation.
Helpful Answer (1)

Yes, you can get paid depending on whether or not your state has a family caregiver program and your mom is receiving Medicaid in some capacity.
There are a few things you have to be careful about with that though. If you start getting paid from the state to be her caregiver, the state will expect to be reimbursed when she passes away. That means that if she has property or insurance policies they have to be protected by being out of her name or put into an Irrevocable Trust for a certain amount of time (in my state it's five years). This also protects these assets from the greedy hand of a nursing home or AL facility if it should come to that at some point.
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter