My mother is on SSI and I take care of her. She in a wheelchair and I am the one that takes care of her. Is there a way I can get paid for doing this? Been doing it for over 2 years now.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
The most common question in the AgingCare Community Forum is “How can I get paid to care for a family member?”.

The vast majority of family caregivers do not get paid for the provision of care.

However, a loved one may use out-of-pocket retirement savings for this purpose. If a family member has enough funds to privately pay from savings, it is important to formally complete a Personal Care Agreement. Prior to receiving any payment, this document should be prepared to outline the services provided as well as the payment to be received. A personal care agreement can not be created retroactively to pay for past care.

The AgingCare Forum is a great place to come for answers. Additionally, I’d like to offer the following AgingCare articles as reference points:

To understand the purpose of and create a formal agreement between family members, please refer to:

It is important to note that most outside sources of pay will only pay for medically based home health care provided by an authorized agency. For a general overview regarding paying for care, please refer to:

And finally, if you would like further information regarding the decision to hire a home care company that fits your needs and your budget, please refer to:

If you are new to caregiving you will likely have future questions. There are many answers from experienced caregivers here. Don’t hesitate to come back and ask.
Helpful Answer (2)

Would your mother be eligible for Medicaid? That is the only program I know of that provides paid in-home help. In many states the person receiving the pay can be a family member.

If Mother is not eligible for Medicaid, can she pay you herself? Set up a care agreement spelling out what you do and what she pays. (You don't want the money going to you to look like a gift.)
Helpful Answer (2)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter