Can I be paid for caring for my mother ( 95 yrs old with ALS ) in my home 24/7?

Find Care & Housing
If you are looking to get paid by a state program, you don’t need to bother with a lawyer and a care contract. Most people who come here are looking for outside assistance because their elders cannot afford to pay them. Texas has several programs that will pay a family caregiver.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to worriedinCali

Please ask around for an elder care lawyer about personal services contracts.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to anonymous903302

Chris, the vast majority of grown children who are caring for their parents do not get paid.... unless the parent can pay you from their own savings account.

If that isn't possible, then check to see if your Mom can qualify for Medicaid [which is different from Medicare]. Being that your parents are married but now living separately due to her health issues, it might be best to get the professional advice of a Elder Law Attorney.

If Mom does qualify for Medicaid, you can see what programs are available to help you and your Mom. If your State does office payment to you as a caregiver, please note it is usually minimum way for a certain number of hours each week. It will not cover 168 hours that you feel you are putting in to help Mom. It will not cover your health insurance cost.

Sounds like you are doing the work of 3 full-time caregivers. Eventually you will crash and burn. Close to 40% of family caregivers will die leaving behind the love one they were caring. Those are not good odds. You may want to start seriously thinking about assisted living or a nursing home for Mom. If you should pass, that is where Mom would probably find herself living.

Curious, who is taking care of Dad since he also has major health issues?
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to freqflyer

Ask a Question

Subscribe to
Our Newsletter