Can I get help for expenditures for supplies etc for my bed bidden spouse? Mainly via TAX stuff.


I am 72 and 100% caregiver. My wife is 77 who has been bedridden due to health issues. I am spending $25,000 or so extra each year for outside help from CNA. But also for supplies such as diapers, creams, soaps, bed pads, equipment like wheel chair etc, vitamins, supplements, wipes etc etc etc. I know that some of these can be deducted as part of medical deductions, but it is so small compared to the spending for the other needed stuff.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.


Swb, is your wife on Medicare or Medicaid. It's my understanding with Medicaid that Medicaid will pay for certain items. You would need to contact your own State Medicaid office to see what is on that list.

Otherwise, keep a running total of what is spent along with the receipts. At tax time contact a tax preparer or a CPA who is familiar with such type of deductions.
Helpful Answer (1)

I hope you didn't pay for a wheelchair; your wife's doctor could write a subscription for it and you could get it through a DME supplier, and likely Medicare would pay for it.

I don't know of a way that some things like soap or creams could be deducted as medical costs unless they were specifically prescribed or recommended by a doctor.

I can only imagine how frustrating this must be for you and hope that others have some suggestions to offer.
Helpful Answer (1)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.