If my name is on my mom's checking and savings account, can I close the account now (she passed a month ago)?

Her account is incurring fees due to low balance and I'd like to stop that. I have POA and am executor of her estate, though I haven't started any probate process yet since I don't have copy of death certificate. Just not sure if bank will refuse to close account since probate isn't even started.

27

Answers

1 2 3
I work at a credit union/bank for 30+years, if you are a joint account holder with right of survivorship, you are able to withdraw the funds or write checks from othe account until the account becomes zero. Please check with the bank to see if there is a min balance to keep or monthly service charge, if so, I would advise to withdraw the full amount and deposit into your own individual account.

On the advice of my bank, I kept my mother's checking account open for probably a year. It was 6 to 8 months before all activity stopped.

Thank you all for your comments. So very helpful.

CalifMarie I am very sorry to Learn Your Dear Mom passed away, RIP.
You will kneed a death Certificate + a copy of Your Mom's will.
This is a very tough time for You, as so Many Caregivers on this wonderful site know the pain of great loss.

Check with your bank - ask for fees to be waived. My bank has done this as I move to new accounts in name of trust from individual accounts. It would be for limited time - 3-6 months but it saves a few bucks. Of course it depends on bank.

CORRECTION**Social Security now always pays one month behind just in case someone dies. I specifically asked this question to social security last year and as "Representative Payee" I can do anything with his direct deposit from them and then justify how I spent it at year's end with a form letter from them. Military pensions are different though.

There is no reason you do not have the death certificates yet. I got my Husbands 1 week after he passed.
You also need to inform Social Security. You can not close an account that her check was going into since they may have to retrieve a check that has been deposited after her death. They need to be informed ASAP.

I am sure when you go to the bank you could get them to reverse fees if you ask and explain the circumstances.

As POA and your name is on the account(s), you could close them. Just explain to your bank rep what you are doing since you haven't gotten the death certificate yet. Your funeral home should have a copy of that, get it from them. I am sorry for your loss...

If you are not making any progress via the Funeral Home call the town/county where the death occurred - death certificates are generally available within days - ours was in the hands of Social Security (thanks to our Funeral Home/County) with 5 days - my mother had a letter back from SSA in under 10 days after my dad's passing.

My dad lives in Crossville, TN. It took forever(!) to get his wife's death certificate. It was at least a month & dad called every week. I guess it just depends on where you live.

1 2 3