Can dementia strike quickly?

My boyfriends father has copd, lung problems, kidney failure and a bunch of other problems. He is a stubborn old german whos set in his ways and doesnt like to listen. He always would occasionally forget to take medicine. He was the 2nd oldest child of 14 kids all of which have passed except his brother who is 20 years younger than him. His brother was diagnosed with cancer about 8 months ago. He would tell me that it wasnt right if he outlived his brother but his granddaugher was coming to visit him from germany and it was my responsibility to keep him alive until she left. He did absolutely everything i said. After he left, medications were skipped more often and he doesnt listen to me as much as he used to. So anyway, hes been seeing dead people and hallucinations and losing track of dates and times. Eating 4 breakfasts a day, etc. Im closer to him than anyone else in his family so we talk alot but he freezes up when others are around. The dementia seemed to hit fast like a 2 week period especially when its dark out. I guess im trying to figure out if dementia symptoms can progress that fast or if maybe it was always there but hes lost his will?

2

Answers

No he didnt trust the family as poa and wanted me to do it. My boyriends brother ripped it up and threw it away so since he made his decision known to dr, nurses and social workers, they would not accept the form his wife and son filled out on his behalf when he was deemed competent. Now he is incompetent to make those decisions..its a mess. I took him to er and hes in rehab now. Hes fine when im around but as soon as anyone else is there he just acts confused which is why i asked before if people can fake dementia. I guess i was trying to figure out if people who know their close to the end will change when they feel they have nothing to look forward to.

Dementia can strike quickly. Maybe he had a stroke, I would immediately get him to a doctor. There could be any number of things that are causing him to behave oddly. He could have a UTI or some other kind of infection. It could be medication or something else that is going on. Without a medical checkup to confirm, I wouldn't guess at this.

Does someone have his Durable Power of Attorney and Healthcare POA?