Can caregivers refuse to wash Mom's bottom & insist she does it herself?

Mom is 94 & has to have bed washes as she has dressings on her legs & fears showers. Care aides tell her to wash her own bottom if she doesn't it doesn't get done!! This surely can't be right??

5

Answers

After my mom was recovering in the hospital from a stroke, she said a male cleaned her after she was done going. I just said, it's all right, mom. It's okay. She seemed to accept that.
Reply to Cats4Ever

Frankie, when my husband was in rehab, his aides did wash him “down there” because he, too couldn’t do it. But they did give him the cloth to wash his upper body to encourage his independence. It’s fairly easy to tell if Mom’s privates are being washed or not. Redness will occur fairly rapidly, so will odor and rashes. Mom may be embarrassed to admit to you she needs someone to wash her privates so she just tells you it’s not getting done.

Yes disposable gloves are used freqflyer. It comes from mom cwillie as carers say they do wash her bottom
Reply to frankie22

Are you getting this from mom or directly from the caregivers? I know that in order to preserve dignity they are trained to encourage people to take care of private areas themselves if they can, but we all know that sometimes that just isn't practical or possible. Could this just be a misunderstanding?

Frankie, at 94 I doubt your Mom is physically able to wash her own bottom during a bed wash. Someone would need to roll her on her side to complete the task. Are disposable gloves supplied for the caregivers?