Find Care & Housing
Your profile states that you have been caring for your friend Kerry for several years and are needing financial help. Is Kerry on Medicaid? It seems as though your state, Texas, does have some programs that allow a friend or relative to be paid to provide in-home care to a Medicaid recipient:

From what I've read on here from other caregivers participating in these sorts of programs, there are a lot of eligibility requirements and the pay and hours are not great. It might be best for you to get back into the workforce and help Kerry find another way to receive care. You have your own health and future to consider, too.

I hope you'll let us know what you find out and how it works out for you as it will be helpful for others, as well. God bless you for being such a loving and generous friend.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to SnoopyLove

I want to add to Geaton's reply. Where I live the Technical school gives classes. In my state its call CNA, Certified Nursing Aid. The State Nursing board oversees them and certifies them. PA advertises all the time where Care agencies will train. They have benefits. This could be a stepping stone for you. You go on to LPN and then RN. I think people have gone this root make the best nurses. RN training alone does not give you a CNA's or LPN's experience.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to JoAnn29

It most likely differs by state, so start by either calling an agency or facility or community college. If you are looking to become a privately hired caregiver, then you should be licensed (if required by your state), bonded and possibly insured. Be able to provide up-to-date criminal background check to prospects. It helps to have referrals or character references from non-family members.

With agencies there are different pay tiers depending on what you are certified to do: a companion cannot help someone walk or transfer if they are considered a fall risk but they will also do light housekeeping and food prep, drive people on errands, play games, etc. The next level is usually someone who knows the safe protocols for dealing with transferring people who are falls risks. Not sure if they are able to give showers or clip nails but there are rules about both those things. Then there are those with more medical training who can administer pills and others who can give shots, change catheters, etc.

Most importantly you need to educate yourself about dementia, ALZ, PD and any of the most common cognitive impairments. This seems to be where many young professional caregivers fall very short. Teepa Snow has videos on YouTube that are extremely informative and helpful and I highly recommend them to you.

If you ever work for someone privately you must know what your state's rules are regarding employment. In my state (MN) a caregiver is NEVER considered a contract worker. Therefore, any private citizen who hires you must comply with the state's employment, tax and labor laws. This means having a written contract, NOT paying you in cash ever, and withholding your SS and Medicare portions so you are not "robbed" of your own benefits when you need the in your retirement. They will need to do quarterly reporting to the state. You should also be getting a W2 by the end of each year for your own taxes, and paid overtime and PTO (Personal Time Off for vacation and sick days). Go into this with your eyes wide open to protect yourself.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to Geaton777

Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter