Can an assisted living place raise the rent anytime or at the end of their yearly lease?

5

Answers

Yes there is usually an increase each year. Is there also an increase need for more staff assistance or if a transfer to a higher level of care is needed? That can impact a steep increase but yours is $30%. Check on your state rules on rent increases to see if this is in line. Otherwise you can shop around

Lady2000, rent is very similar to that of a regular apartment. At the end of one year, the "landlord" can raise the rent, usually a percentage is given. Check the Lease to see if there is a paragraph referring to rent increases.

Same increases can also happen to "optional care" levels.

Expenses have gone up, and probably will keep going up especially now with the Trade War tariffs being hiked so much :((

I believe my moms bill goes up about once a year. they usually mail me a letter letting me know about it a few months prior. id have to go back and compare statements to see how much each time. shes been there since august 2011. I know I have several letters since that time. I don't like increases of course. but im not moving her, she has a great place and it would be risky to take a chance for a lower price. it would probably be bad for her too. ...........reason is cost of living....

edit.

no her increases were never that much maybe 150. 160. something like that.

im hoping my mom doesn't end up in memory care :(
Reply to wally003

They did have an increase in her care without telling me from 150.00 to 950.00 and her room went from 2300 to 3200.00. I am meeting with them today to see
Reply to lady2000

My understanding is that assisted living can charge more for additional services (not room rent) when they’re needed. Like med dispensing, more toileting etc.
Reply to rocketjcat