Currently I work outside the home, but my spouse is disabled. I have been advised to look into being paid to be his caregiver and am capable of doing so. Does anyone know how I find information on this? We do not have the finances to pay someone to come in and help.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
If you cannot afford to pay for the care your husband needs, perhaps you would qualify for Medicaid. The eligibility thresholds are very different for a couple than for a single person. They are established with the idea of not forcing the well spouse into poverty. If you don't have a lot of assets, look into this program. If you do own assets, now may be the time to liquidate some to pay for his care.

Medicaid pays for a facility (such as nursing home) when one is needed, but it is less expensive (and more humane) to support the impaired person at home as long as that is feasible. This support includes paying drug co-pays, providing some in-home aides and/or a visiting nurse, a bath aide, meals on wheels, cleaning and laundry help, or other personal care, incontinence supplies if they are needed, and the Adult Day Health Program freqflyer mentioned. Some home modifications, such as handrails and sometimes more extensive alterations may be provided. It is more than worth checking into to determine if you are eligible, or what you'd have to do to become eligible.

In many states the money Medicaid approves for in-home care can be paid to a qualified relative. In eight states that relative can be a spouse.

One way to begin this process is to call your county Human Services office and ask for a needs assessment for your husband. (There may be a backlog. The sooner you call, the sooner your turn will come up.) They will come out and evaluate what your husband needs. I advise you to be absolutely honest about his limitations. If he claims, "Oh I can make my own lunch," remind him -- and the needs assessor -- that he can take a lunch that your have prepared out of the fridge, but that he doesn't always remember to do that. If he says he can manage his own medications, say, "Yes, you did an excellent job of that before your illness. But now that you have so many to take, it is good that I can put them in the daily box for you, and remind you when to take them." This is not the time to put the most positive face on the applicant's abilities. Try to preserve his dignity as you correct his answers, but the assessor needs to hear the truth.

The Human Services department will know of virtually all the resources available in your community, and can give you tips of organizations with volunteers, etc. If the county has some programs that would meet his needs they will tell you about them. They may advise you to apply for Medicaid.
Helpful Answer (1)

I really doubt you could find any government program that would pay a person to care for their spouse. Rules are different compared to caring for a parent, grandparent or a sick child.

Another option is for your spouse to go on Medicaid. First check to see your State might have a program where an Aide can come in to help a couple times a week.

Also call your local Agency on Aging, to see what programs they have. They wouldn't have any salary type programs, but maybe others that would help. Like Adult Day Care where hubby can attend while you are at work.
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter