Can a senior fall out of bed and get a nasty black eye?

I went to visit my 86 year old mom at her group home. She had a really bad black eye. I was told she fell out of bed.

16

Answers

I fell last winter and broke my nose. I had two shiners that last for about 12 days. My mom fell in her NH bathroom and hit her forehead. Two days later, she looked like she's gone 5 rounds with Muhammad Ali AND Joe Frazier.

I don't take a blood thinner other than a small aspirin, but I'm apparently at the age where we start bruising easily. I have a small round bruise on my chest. It looks a lot like a spot that sometimes forms after an insulin shot, but it is definitely not where I'd give myself a shot. So what could have poked me in the chest hard enough to leave a bruise but that I was totally not aware of?

Ah, the mysteries of old age! Helps prevent boredom, I guess.

My husband fell repeatedly early in his dementia. He was on a blood thinner. He constantly looked like an abuse victim! He was so glad to get a wheelchair and minimize the fall risk!

Delilah56, absolutely that is possible. Whether that is how it actually happened or not, we certainly couldn't judge. But possible? Definitely!

Does your brother have any impairments? Sleep disorders?

My brothers wife said he'd fallen out of bed and sustained bruising on the side of his neck behind his ear to almost his shoulder and slight bruising to his ear
Does anyone think this injury is possible ?

Gladimhere brings up a good point - with most of these older folks being on blood thinners, all it takes is a small little bump and they're badly bruised. So a fall, even if she didn't hit her face, could still cause bruising in areas you wouldn't expect.

Yes, I was contacted saying she had fallen out of bed and had bruises.

Did the facility call you when she fell?

I would be upset if they didn't and she needed medical attention

My mom once got a black eye from falling. But, L, on cumadin, got a black eye, a bad one, just from rubbing it wrong. These old folks bruise very easily.

She may have hit her eyebrow, or her head above that eye. Blood tends to pool, and then drain downward, so it certainly seems possible. Also, many older folks, and younger ones as well, take a baby aspirin, to help to prevent heart attacks and strokes, so their blood is thinner, and bruising is more likely to happen. Hope she heals up soon!

My mother fell on the street one time. Her eye and side of her face look like she had been beat. I told her that she ought to tell the doctor that dad beat her up. She looked a mess.

My neighbor in TX fell and bumped her head above her eye. She got a lump and bruise there. Her eye also turned black. She was okay, but she looked terrible like a train had hit her.

When old people fall they don't catch themselves as fast as they did when they were young. The reflexes aren't as good. It's not unusual to bump heads. Falling out of bed must be one of the worst things, since there is no time to break the fall. Scary.