Get 2 witnesses to sign in front of a notary. Depends on the state. When I transferred an old POA when applying for guardianship transfer in SC, I learned that it needs 2 witnesses. Since mom's had only one witness, I had to trace back to her old lawyer who was still alive. The POA doc now has 2 certifications through both state probates and stamped because my mom can no longer make a new one.

My friend at Bratton Law just went through this with my partner and me 2 weeks ago. They specialize (like I'm sure a few other Elder Law groups do as well) in this exact thing. Call and Ask for Anne at Bratton Law - she'll probably help you as a friendly gesture.
Reply to Jearnha

Having something notarized means only that the Notary has checked ID and that the signature of the person is the signature on the document. Nothing else. My advice for a good POA is see a lawyer. Much depends on this as different entities, banks, realtors want different things on a POA. BE SAFE as this cannot be redone when the person is incapable of making his or her own decisions.

I would use a lawyer. POA has to be assigned. The person assigning it needs to be confident to do so. Otherwise, guardianship has to be gotten and its expensive.

I read ur profile. Are u caring for a LO or u have clients. If ur talking about a client than you should not become their POA. Its a conflict of interest. If you are caring for LO then you should have POA.

Someone can create a PoA when they are of sound mind. They can designate any person, multiple persons (even a caregiver) or organization. In my state my mother's PoA documents had to be signed in front of the notary with 2 witnesses who were not family members, plus my mom (the creator) and the PoA (me). The creator and the PoA each have to have a signed, notarized original copy.
Reply to Geaton777