I was told by one of my Drs that my husband can apply to be paid as a care taker for his father. What do we need to do?

Find Care & Housing
So if it is Medicaid, you need to check with your states requirements. Here is how it works in Michigan.

First of all, sister who has POA for finances will need to approve any such payments and sign the contract. The person receiving the care has an acting fidiciary paid for through Medicaid. The fiduciary will apply for a federal EIN for the patient and will process payroll and submit payroll tax reports and distribute W-2s. The fiduciary acts as HR and makes sure training such as first aid and CPR is completed.

So hours and is the client or POAs responsibility to determine a "reasonable pay" which can go up to to 15 or so per hour depending on your area (if hubby has any type of POA, he is not eligible for any type of Medicaid payment).

I have always been confused about where people come up with hours that Medicaid will pay. In my state, they will pay 8 hours per day, 7 days a week and extra hours for bathing...max out at 60 hours a week. Out of the 60 hours, 20 would have to be paid to an outside overtime. That is determined by the social worker doing the needs assessment.

I should also add, that any money that would be paid to your husband would be subject to Medicaid recovery as well as an administrative fee and fiduciary fees. Before you make any decisions, you should consult an elder attorney about MERP.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to tacy022

If your states community based Medicaid program has a family member in-home caregiver program, hubs/his dad need to get assessed to see if eligible.

CA & AZ have IHHS / in home health services. Based on what others have posted on this site, it usually is a family member who lives in the elders home without rent, who is paid by the state to caregiver for the elder an assessed # of hours. It’s slightly above minimum wage and under 30/35 hrs of care needed. Most seem to be 20 hrs at like $11.00 hr and fully reportable, taxable with fica paid to caregiver. You have to be mindful on the # of hrs needed; if it goes above 30/35 hrs, elder is viewed as needing higher level of care so need placement in a facility.

Elder has to be “at need” financially and medically for community Medicaid. What the requirements are depends on your states Medicaid program. Community is not the level of impoverishment than LTC medicaid is. But their going to need to be low income & medically needy

Some states do not do family IHHS but instead have PACE community centers where elders go to 2-4 days a week and their health & care is overseen through PACE. For PACE it seems that administratively they need to be “duals”, that is on Medicare and Medicaid as all costs covered & billed between the 2 programs. The rest of the time, they live in their home or family members home with family or hired caregivers providing for assistance. Some PACE have aides that do weekend care visits of elder if assessed to need that. PACE is viewed as very good at cost containment and level of care provided. It’s the current trend model for how to deal with Medicaids limited $. If there’s PACE in your area, FIL may need to do PACE first before he can get 1-on-1 in home care.
Helpful Answer (3)
Reply to igloo572
Sendhelp Jan 14, 2019
Jan. 2019 has min. wage in CA @ $12.00/hr.
Springsfas, the vast majority of grown children who are caring for their parent do not get paid.... unless the parent can pay from their own retirement fund, as gladimhere had posted.

I would ask that Doctor what program is he/she referencing. Maybe the doctor is thinking of Medicaid [which is different from Medicare]. But first your husband's father would need to be accepted into the program. If father has a lot of savings, then he would need to spend that down first. Each State handles their own Medicaid division, thus programs can vary from State to State.

If hubby can be paid by the State, don't be surprised if the pay is minimal wage for a few hours each week. The funds used by Medicaid are paid by the taxpayers and some from Federal taxes, that is why the pay and hours aren't more.

I see from your profile that your husband's Dad is in his 90's, and that your husband is retired. I must tell you, a senior taking care of an older senior can create major health issues with your husband, and with you since you are also helping out. I learned that the hard way. All those wonderful ideas of retirement were thrown out the window :(
Helpful Answer (2)
Reply to freqflyer

Apply? If his dad has resources to pay him then a caregiver contract is required. Contact the Area Agency on Aging to find out if your state has any programs to help caregivers. Is he a veteran? If so, Aid and Attendance may be available.
Helpful Answer (2)
Reply to gladimhere

Ask a Question

Subscribe to
Our Newsletter