Can I put a camera in the nursing home room and monitor my Mom's room from my computer?

When it comes time to put Mom in a nursing home. I want to request a camera in the room that I can access from my computer at any time.....I was told by a HomeCare organization that nursing homes will not allow this. I think I should have a right to monitor my Mom anytime I want and technology allows us to do so. Any information on this topic would be appreciated.

15

Answers

Recently here in OR there is a 2.7 million dollar law suit. Mother and Dad died within 3 weeks of each other. Both in the Nursing Home only about 9 months. The Mom died last. SHE HAD A COLONY OF FRUIT FLIES LIVING IN HER MOUTH!!!!! She had dementia and was 92 poor thing... This was total collusion. Many people had to feed her, rotating ... and SEE the colony of Fruit Flies living in her MOUTH!! God protect us all!

John, the point is recording violates rights. What if your parent is getting changed, do they not deserve the right of privacy?

If your loved one used to work for the secret service I agree. Or perhaps they have millions of dollars and know account information that could lead a criminal to steal their money. Also, maybe your grandmother is wearing valuables like Kim Kardashian. Imagine the information they might have access to digging through video feeds of people who have trouble turning the television on. Then what about the guy that walks into the Long Term Care facility and steals and rapes? Notice how anyone can walk into these places. You guys must be voting for Donald Trump.

John, cameras can back fire on the situation. My boss, who's wife had late stage Alzheimer's, decided to put up cameras in his house so he could watch what his wife was doing during the day... well he had a wonderful caregiver whom his wife just adored and he told the caregiver about the cameras. She was ok with them, but after a week the cameras made her so uncomfortable that she quit.

My boss wished he had never put up those cameras, as the caregiver had been so good with his wife, and it became a real struggle for him to bring in a new caregiver that his wife accepted. His wife kept asking over and over for the other caregiver. He said it was so sad seeing his beautiful wife so upset.

John, do you have signs posted or have you informed people you are watching or recording them? Depending on where you live, you may be violating privacy laws and committing a crime.

Absolutely right, anything can be hacked. And if you have stuff with voice commands like Alexa or Siri or Google Now or Firestick, etc., it is listening all the time. Anyone that can get into it can listen too.

With all the hacking going on now a days, any type of digital device recording could wind up on who knows what type of website worldwide.

Look at what happened the other day, when many website went down due to hacking, and this also involved digital devices at home [coffee makers, lights, garage door, thermostat temps, etc.] that are managed with one's Smart type cellphone.

You can use a tablet to monitor the caregivers. I use Android tablets and the software Airdroid can control the tablet remotely via the internet. The options for software are many, like motion detecting, live monitoring, etc. The only way the Long Term Care facility could stop me is to tape over the camera on the tablet. However they do not have my permission to touch our private property. It would make for an interesting legal case. They have no way of knowing if I am watching, listening, or recording without touching the tablet.

I doubt the NH will allow this. The NH my mother was in did not allow video cameras or any type of pictures to be taken.

Sorry Pam, it took me a while to type my last response, and in doing so, I duplicated some of your answer. You are absolutely right.